Rock Island
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place of friendly discussion about music and other interests

HomeGalleryRegisterLog in

Interesting News!

Go down 
+4
tohostudios
Eilene1015
onebigfish
MoonChild
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 20  Next
AuthorMessage
Eilene1015
Jammin' Jem
Eilene1015

Interesting News! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Interesting News!   Interesting News! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 27, 2016 8:37 am

Yep
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
Sleaze Pleaze
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Interesting News!   Interesting News! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 27, 2016 5:12 pm

OK, now I have to go do my own research because that story told me next to nothing.

What the hell is a "lykoi". I see the latin for "wolf" in there. Is this the result of a wolf breeding with a cat?

Off to look it up....

Sleaze Pleaze
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Interesting News!   Interesting News! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 27, 2016 5:14 pm

So apparently it's a natural mutation.

Quote :
The Lykoi is a breed of cat, a natural mutation of the domestic shorthair. The Lykoi was developed in Vonore, Tennessee and is said to resemble a werewolf. The word "lykoi" roughly means "wolf" in Greek.

The Lykoi is a partially or almost entirely hairless cat that is genetically distinct from the Canadian Sphynx. The hair coat is unique in appearance in that it resembles the coat of an opossum when mostly coated. Standards call for a solid black roan coat, a wedge-shaped head, and a lithe body of solid weight without excessive bulk. Lykoi are said to be friendly and unchallenging in their behavior. They display a high level of affection for their owners.[1]

A unique characteristic of the cat breed is that the Lykoi sheds a lot when older but regrows its hair later in life depending on the season.[2]

The missing coat of the Lykoi's face gives the breed a werewolfish appearance

Now I want one.

I always get weird cats (except for Tux who's pretty generic).

Vixen was a lilac-point Siamese with a ringed tail which is a pretty odd combination. Godiva was a solid brown cat which most vets have never even seen before. And Loosie is a calico Maine Coon which is said to be a rare genetic combination.

Metal Fisherman
onebigfish

PostSubject: Re: Interesting News!   Interesting News! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 30, 2016 8:50 am

Boy, you're all over that story, aren't you?

Laughing

tohostudios
Sleaze Pleaze
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Interesting News!   Interesting News! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 01, 2016 5:52 pm

How about this story?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kristinakillgrove/2016/06/01/healthy-vampires-emerge-from-graves-in-medieval-polish-cemetery/#5579786d4958

The story doesn't really go anywhere but I find it interesting that some people were buried differently because the society thought they might be vampires for some reason.  Since the disease theory for that treatment has been ruled out based on this excavation it begs the question, why did the people of the time think these certain people might be vampires?

You just know with a horror element like vampires in this story I'd find it interesting.

Metal Fisherman
onebigfish

PostSubject: Re: Interesting News!   Interesting News! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 03, 2016 8:26 am

Interesting. People have been very superstitious throughout history.

Eilene1015
Jammin' Jem
Eilene1015

PostSubject: Re: Interesting News!   Interesting News! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 03, 2016 8:33 am

I read that.Interesting
Back to top Go down
onebigfish
Metal Fisherman
onebigfish

PostSubject: Re: Interesting News!   Interesting News! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 07, 2016 10:21 am

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/photos/new-peacock-spider-species-uncovered/ss-BBtXZEX#image=1

Eilene1015
Jammin' Jem
Eilene1015

PostSubject: Re: Interesting News!   Interesting News! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 07, 2016 1:43 pm

Cool looking
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
Sleaze Pleaze
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Interesting News!   Interesting News! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 07, 2016 6:15 pm

I'd still step on one if I saw it.

I HATE spiders. HATE, HATE, HATE...

One of the creepiest movies I've ever seen is Eight Legged Freaks because it features giant spiders of all varieties. Made my skin crawl.

Guru of True Metal
MoonChild

PostSubject: Re: Interesting News!   Interesting News! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 08, 2016 1:59 am

Seen the video on FB, looks cool.

Jammin' Jem
Eilene1015

PostSubject: Re: Interesting News!   Interesting News! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 09, 2016 8:43 am

LOL toho thats how i am with Ants..I dont mind any other bug..I got attacked and biten when i was a kid by red ants..I am not afraid of th elittle ones as much but he big carpenter ants i am terrified..
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
Sleaze Pleaze
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Interesting News!   Interesting News! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 09, 2016 9:34 am

It's all because I saw the 50s movie "Tarantula" when I was about 8 years old.  It features a real tarantula superimposed over buildings and stuff.  There's one scene where the giant spider is hovering over a house and there's a woman in her bedroom getting ready for bed.  She hears something scraping at her bedroom window, pulls open the blinds and there are all 8 eyes of the giant spider staring in at her.  

Welcome arachnophobia.

Interesting News! - Page 2 Tara

Metal Fisherman
onebigfish

PostSubject: Re: Interesting News!   Interesting News! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 09, 2016 10:22 am

lol!

Eilene1015
Jammin' Jem
Eilene1015

PostSubject: Re: Interesting News!   Interesting News! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 09, 2016 11:52 am

LOL-You are too funny
Back to top Go down
onebigfish
Metal Fisherman
onebigfish

PostSubject: Re: Interesting News!   Interesting News! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 10, 2016 12:38 pm

How's this then?

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/health/medical/welsh-woman-suffering-from-head-pain-discovers-spider-living-in-her-ear/ar-AAgTn9w?li=AAggFp5

tohostudios
Sleaze Pleaze
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Interesting News!   Interesting News! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 10, 2016 1:37 pm

OMG!!!! I think I'd cut off my own head!

Metal Fisherman
onebigfish

PostSubject: Re: Interesting News!   Interesting News! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 10, 2016 4:04 pm

lol!

tohostudios
Sleaze Pleaze
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Interesting News!   Interesting News! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 10, 2016 4:13 pm

Quote :
“I think the pain must have been him dancing on my eardrum and the gurgling was him moving around.”

That almost makes me physically ill.

Jammin' Jem
Eilene1015

PostSubject: Re: Interesting News!   Interesting News! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 13, 2016 7:56 am

LOL-Toho

Back to top Go down
onebigfish
Metal Fisherman
onebigfish

PostSubject: Re: Interesting News!   Interesting News! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 13, 2016 9:13 am

I am not a big fan of spiders either. Not a big fan of insects in general, but spiders are creepy.

Eilene1015
Jammin' Jem
Eilene1015

PostSubject: Re: Interesting News!   Interesting News! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 13, 2016 10:26 am

Bugs are creepy
Back to top Go down
onebigfish
Metal Fisherman
onebigfish

PostSubject: Re: Interesting News!   Interesting News! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 15, 2016 8:23 am

http://qz.com/706477/a-22-pound-lump-of-butter-from-2000-years-ago-has-been-discovered-in-ireland/

onebigfish
Metal Fisherman
onebigfish

PostSubject: Re: Interesting News!   Interesting News! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 23, 2016 8:31 am

I've never heard of this.

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/texas-mom-wakes-up-from-surgery-with-a-british-accent/ar-AAhwAQ6?li=AAggFp5

Eilene1015
Jammin' Jem
Eilene1015

PostSubject: Re: Interesting News!   Interesting News! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 23, 2016 9:26 am

Strange
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
Sleaze Pleaze
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Interesting News!   Interesting News! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 04, 2016 9:15 am

That's very strange. Especially since she's never been exposed to British accents.

Sleaze Pleaze
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Interesting News!   Interesting News! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 04, 2016 9:58 am

I always knew the melody of The Star Spangled Banner was from an old drinking song but I didn't know it was this much of a drinking song:

Quote :
With Independence Day coming up in a couple of days I thought you might find this bizarre bit of American history interesting. Our venerable national anthem 'The Star-Spangled Banner' is really a 250-year-old drinking song from England.

They knew how to rock it out back then.

The original version was called 'To Anacreon in Heaven' and was usually sung by The Anacreontic Society of London. It was sort of like their theme song.

What was The Anacreontic Society? It was a bunch of lawyers, doctors and other well-to-do professionals who enjoyed music, literature, poetry, and more importantly, boozing. They named themselves after the famous, ancient Greek poet Anacreon who liked to write about women and boozing. Go figure.

They would get together periodically, read each other poems they had written and sing popular songs they all enjoyed and drink themselves half insensible. Oh, and they did other things as a society, like present concerts and operas.

Not surprisingly, this kind of club became popular, and so did the theme song. It spread right across the Atlantic where, in the much more rural colonies, it became more about the boozin' and singin' than about organizing concerts for the well-to-do.

50-some-odd years later Francis Scott Key was watching the Brits bomb the hell out of Fort McHenry in Baltimore during the War of 1812. He was so inspired by the fort's indomitable defense that he wrote the poem 'Defense of Fort McHenry'.

Later, Key gave the poem to his brother-in-law who saw that the words fit perfectly with melody of an oldie but goodie that was still popular around the fledgling country, perhaps hoping that because of its age nobody would remember that the song was originally British. Thus was born 'The Star-Spangled Banner'.

Think about that the next time you're singing the national anthem.

Metal Fisherman
onebigfish

PostSubject: Re: Interesting News!   Interesting News! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 04, 2016 12:01 pm

Interesting. I sure had no idea.

Eilene1015
Jammin' Jem
Eilene1015

PostSubject: Re: Interesting News!   Interesting News! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 05, 2016 8:24 am

I also had no clue..
Back to top Go down
onebigfish
Metal Fisherman
onebigfish

PostSubject: Re: Interesting News!   Interesting News! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 06, 2016 8:06 am

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/video/nasa-video-shows-jupiter-and-its-moons/vi-AAi6J0a
There were a few videos, one after the other on this.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Interesting News!   Interesting News! - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Interesting News!
Page 2 of 20Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 20  Next