Rock Island
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place of friendly discussion about music and other interests

HomeGalleryRegisterLog in

Play ball!

Go down 
2 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
onebigfish
Metal Fisherman
onebigfish

Play ball! - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Play ball! - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 23, 2024 4:10 pm

Yeah, that's what bothers me, the "I don't care" attitude. Can they (the umpires) not discuss it and one of them say, "Oh, yeah, I heard that fan", or something?

onebigfish
Metal Fisherman
onebigfish

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Play ball! - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 23, 2024 10:55 pm

The Jays lost 3-2 to the Royals. The offence was once again missing tonight. They had 9 hits but went 2 for 10 with RISP. Both of those were sacrifice flies. All 3 runs were unearned because Guerrero dropped a perfect throw to first on what would have been the 3rd out. He also went 0-5 with 2 Ks and a double play.

The Jays haven't scored more than 5 runs in a game for 2-1/2 weeks. Springer, Guerrero, and Bichette are hitting .220, .217, and .240 respectively with a total of 6 home runs. Those are the three that are supposed to lead the offence. No wonder they can't score.

tohostudios
Sleaze Pleaze
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Play ball! - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2024 8:06 am

Cards got waxed 14-1. First inning homer from Contreras then 14 unanswered runs. Gonna be a long season...

Metal Fisherman
onebigfish

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Play ball! - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2024 8:24 am

That's definitely a spanking.

tohostudios
Sleaze Pleaze
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Play ball! - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2024 5:05 pm

I guess every team does the "score a ton of runs one day then struggle to score at all the next day" thing. I always know when the Cardinals really clobber a team one day they're losing the next day. The Cards won today 5-1. Kyle Gibson went 6 innings again today; he's one of two pitchers to last 6 innings in every start so far this season.

Metal Fisherman
onebigfish

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Play ball! - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2024 8:37 am

The Jays do not do the "score a ton of runs one day" part of that. They do the "score up to 5 runs one day and then struggle to score the next day" thing. They have not scored more than 5 runs in the last 16 games. They scored 5 runs three games ago and have scored 2 runs each of the last two games; they lost 3-2 in both games.

tohostudios
Sleaze Pleaze
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Play ball! - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2024 10:49 am

Man, both of our teams are really struggling to score runs.

Jays are averaging 3.8 runs per game and the Cards are averaging 3.48

Metal Fisherman
onebigfish

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Play ball! - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2024 11:46 am

Yeah, our teams are pretty sad in the run-scoring department. I don't know about the Cards, but the Jays should not be. The power has completely disappeared. Since 2021, they have gone from 262 > 200 > 188 home runs per year. They are on pace for 143 this season. That would be their lowest in 16 years.

Thumbs down

And that 3.80 runs per game is their lowest since 1981!

onebigfish
Metal Fisherman
onebigfish

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Play ball! - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2024 1:46 pm

It's an afternoon game today. In the 2nd inning with 1 out, they sacrifice bunted. The coaches obviously have no faith in their offence either.

onebigfish
Metal Fisherman
onebigfish

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Play ball! - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2024 9:29 am

The Jays lost 2-1 in 5 innings. They are a boring and frustrating team to watch. It's like they have 4 hitters and 5 pylons in the lineup. I miss the good old days of scoring runs.

Oh yeah, 17 games scoring 5 or less runs. And the Dodgers are visiting tonight.

tohostudios
Sleaze Pleaze
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Play ball! - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2024 9:51 am

"Poutine hot dog"????

MLB Central is sampling this new "delicacy" available at Toronto games.

Sleaze Pleaze
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Play ball! - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2024 10:54 am

onebigfish wrote:
The Jays lost 2-1 in 5 innings. They are a boring and frustrating team to watch. It's like they have 4 hitters and 5 pylons in the lineup. I miss the good old days of scoring runs.

Oh yeah, 17 games scoring 5 or less runs. And the Dodgers are visiting tonight.

High Heat is going off on the KC grounds crew for that game yesterday. They waited 3h 38m and then ended up cancelling the game?

Metal Fisherman
onebigfish

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Play ball! - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2024 6:57 pm

Yeah, that was bungled. According to comments on stories I reread, it was better in the evening than it was the last two innings they played. They could've just gone home.

A poitine dog must have gravy and cheese curds, I guess?

tohostudios
Sleaze Pleaze
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Play ball! - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 27, 2024 7:10 am

onebigfish wrote:

A poitine dog must have gravy and cheese curds, I guess?

Yep. It sounds gross to me but the people on MLB Central raved about it. I think what sounds nasty to me is mixing brown gravy and cheese curds. I've never had cheese curds but since I'm a big cheese fan I assume I'd like them. And I like brown (i.e. beef or poultry gravy) but mixing that with cheese sounds wrong. And then to put it on a hot dog???? But even though the MLB Central hosts were as skeptical as I am they loved it. Cliff Floyd especially was digging in.

Cards beat the Mets last night 4-2. I didn't get to see any of it. Guess why? Stupid Apple TV game. That's twice already for that this season for the Cardinals. And they've played a boatload of games on the West Coast already so I've barely even seen my team in 2024 so far.

Metal Fisherman
onebigfish

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Play ball! - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 27, 2024 7:28 pm

I've had poutine before and it is really good. It's traditionally from French Canada and consists of brown gravy and cheese curds on fries. And it actually is very good. Cheese curds are just like normal cheese. There is no taste difference.

I hate those Apple games. At least I can watch the YouTube and Facebook games. At this point, it might be a blessing not to be able to watch the Jays. They lost last night, 12-2, and today, 4-2. That's 19 games with scoring 5 or less runs. They're working on another cool streak at the same time where they haven't scored more than 2 runs in the last 5 games.

tohostudios
Sleaze Pleaze
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Play ball! - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 27, 2024 9:56 pm

Cards beat the Mets 7-4 today. Sonny Gray wasn't quite himself giving up 4 runs (only one earned) but he still struck out 9 while walking 3 in 6 innings . The 3 walks tells you he wasn't on top of his game because he'd only issued one walk all season coming in. But still...1 ER in 6 innings on only 4 hits...I'll take it. And SEVEN runs????? That's the most runs the Cardinals have scored since April 12 when they scored 9 against Arizona.

Metal Fisherman
onebigfish

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Play ball! - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 29, 2024 9:13 am

I swear that I responded to this on the weekend. It seems to have disappeared. anyway, I believe I said something about being jealous of the Cards' offence and that the Jays hadn't scored 7 runs total in their last 4 games.

onebigfish
Metal Fisherman
onebigfish

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Play ball! - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 29, 2024 9:27 am

The Jays managed to win a game and score more than 2 runs on Sunday. They beat the Dodgers 3-1. They had some incredible outfield defence that the Dodgers at 1 run. it seems there isn't a day that goes by where there isn't a great catch in the outfield. Those are fun to watch.

I forgot to mention something the other day. Last week, the Jays brought up one of their higher-end prospects, Addison Barger. He's a 3rd baseman but has also played some right field. So, Schneider puts him in left field, a position he has never played. Why would you put a guy in his first major league game in a position he has never played? You'll never guess what happened. He misjudges the first ball hit to him, takes a bizarre circular route, and misses it. He has played in three games now. So far he has no hits, but he has hit the ball pretty hard several times. One thing he does have is a canon of an arm. He unleashed a throw from right field on Saturday that was 100.5 mph. That's not the hardest one he has thrown this year; he threw one in AAA that was 103.8 mph. Definitely a cannon.

tohostudios
Sleaze Pleaze
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Play ball! - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 29, 2024 10:29 am

Yeah that makes no sense at all. Especially for somebody making their MLB debut. There's enough pressure making your first MLB appearance without having to do it playing a totally foreign position.

Metal Fisherman
onebigfish

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Play ball! - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 30, 2024 3:33 pm

The Jays won 6-5 last night! It took 21 games to score more than 5 runs I'm hoping that they found it exciting and will do it again tonight.

tohostudios
Sleaze Pleaze
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Play ball! - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 30, 2024 5:28 pm

Cards beat Detroit 2-1 in the makeup game from last night's rainout. Get this, between the two teams they struck out 28 times. The Cards faced Jack Flaherty for the first time since trading him last year and he fanned the first 7 batters;14 for the game. Kyle Gibson fanned 9 in his 7 innings for STL. I guess they wanted to make sure nobody in the stands got overheated so all the players tried their best to keep them cool

Metal Fisherman
onebigfish

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Play ball! - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed May 01, 2024 8:32 am

That is a LOT of Ks.

onebigfish
Metal Fisherman
onebigfish

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Play ball! - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed May 01, 2024 8:33 am

the Jays must have been tired from scoring 6 runs the other day. They lost 4-1 last night. The offence is so pathetic.

tohostudios
Sleaze Pleaze
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Play ball! - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed May 01, 2024 10:26 am

I'm going to say it right now that by the end of the year the Jays will have a much better offense than the Cardinals.

Metal Fisherman
onebigfish

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Play ball! - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed May 01, 2024 11:46 am

Neither team inspires any confidence right now.

tohostudios
Sleaze Pleaze
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Play ball! - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed May 01, 2024 11:48 am

Did you hear about this?

https://www.mlb.com/padres/news/mike-shildt-picks-wisely-after-catcher-s-interference

That's a ballsy call by Schildt and now he has Machado in his corner for the rest of the season.

Metal Fisherman
onebigfish

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Play ball! - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed May 01, 2024 11:55 am

That is a ballsy decision. I can't imagine either of our teams doing that.

onebigfish
Metal Fisherman
onebigfish

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Play ball! - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed May 01, 2024 4:47 pm

The Jays lost 6-1 to the Royals this afternoon. This team sucks. They managed 4 hits and 2 walks today. The highest batting average of the guys in the lineup was .267 and he was on the IL until 2 weeks ago. They have ONE(!) hitter with an average higher than that. Springer, Guererro, and Bichette are a combined .217 with 7 home runs.

I just compared our teams:
Cards are 14-17; Jays are 15-17
Cards have scored 109; Jays have scored 111
Cards have allowed 30 more runs than they've scored; Jays have allowed 31 more

Our teams are plumbing the depths of uselessness.

tohostudios
Sleaze Pleaze
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Play ball! - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed May 01, 2024 5:25 pm

Yep. Cards lost 4-1. Those stats are amazingly comparable in their futility. At least their records are also comparable.

Sleaze Pleaze
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Play ball! - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed May 01, 2024 5:26 pm

Also, I didn't see anything on MLB Network about the "bee delay" last night in the Dbacks/Dodgers game. I just saw it on the local news now.

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Play ball! - Page 8 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Play ball!
Page 8 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Rock Island :: Tropical Breeze :: Pirates Cove-
Jump to: