Play ball!

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 14 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 30 ... 34  Next
AuthorMessage
tohostudios
Sleaze Pleaze
tohostudios

Play ball! - Page 26 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Play ball! - Page 26 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 29, 2018 1:42 pm

It's like the Jays are just making up titles for relatives of the owner or something.

View user profile
onebigfish
Metal Fisherman
onebigfish

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Play ball! - Page 26 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 29, 2018 3:43 pm

Laughing

Actually, he was the coach of AA New Hampshire last year, and A+ Dunedin the year before. Both teams won their championships. He has also coached Vlad, Bo, and many of the young prospects, so that's likely why he's there. He needs a better title though, maybe "Head Pharaoh of Top Prospect Acclimatization", or something.

View user profile
onebigfish
Metal Fisherman
onebigfish

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Play ball! - Page 26 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 03, 2018 8:35 am

There is a rumor that the Jays are "interested" in Dallas Keuchel, which, as the story says, makes no sense. But I thought you would get a kick out of reading the story because of the disdain you have for the artist he mentions.

https://bluejaysnation.com/2018/12/03/it-doesnt-make-sense-for-the-jays-to-throw-big-money-at-dallas-keuchel-right-now/

View user profile
tohostudios
Sleaze Pleaze
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Play ball! - Page 26 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 03, 2018 5:04 pm

Except that "bad Phil Collins record" is redundant.

Hot Stove was talking about a rumor of Keuchel going to Atlanta. That makes more sense IMO.

View user profile
onebigfish
Metal Fisherman
onebigfish

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Play ball! - Page 26 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 04, 2018 11:03 am

Some how I figured you'd say something like that.

Laughing

View user profile
tohostudios
Sleaze Pleaze
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Play ball! - Page 26 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 05, 2018 10:16 am

Harold Reynolds was just telling a great story on Hot Stove.

Back in 1990 when George HW Bush was the President and started his "Thousand Points Of Light" initiative to spotlight people making a difference in their communities across the country, Reynolds was the first athlete/celebrity to receive the award for his work in the Seattle areay.

But as Harold tells it, he was in his "baseball bubble" and he had no idea what the Thousand Points thing even was. So one day he was in the trainers room getting his ankles taped up when the Mariners secretary came in and told him he had a phone call. Harold told the guy to take a message. The secretary came back and said "It's the White House". So Harold was like "Sure it is." He thinks he's being pranked. So he takes the phone and it's George HW Bush on the other end and starts telling Harold he's pleased to inform him he's being awarded the Thousand Points award. So Harold says thanks and hangs up. He thought it was Griffey or somebody pranking him. Harold actually hung up on the President.

Later that season when the Mariners were in Baltimore, a presidential limo showed up at the hotel to take Reynolds and some teammates to the White House for a tour and to give Harold his award. So as they're touring the White House, the guy showing them around told Harold that Bush was too busy to meet with him and he sends his apologies. As they're nearing the end of the tour, the Secret Service guys pull Harold aside and usher him into the Oval Office. So Reynolds is standing all alone in the Oval Office and in walks George HW Bush. Bush starts talking baseball and showing Reynolds pictures of when he was captain of Yale's baseball team. They took a bunch of pictures and stuff. And later that night, the US invaded Kuwait to fight of Saddam Hussein. So Bush took time out from planning that attack to meet Reynolds because he was such a huge baseball fan.

The Hot Stove host asked Reynolds if Bush ever brought up the fact that he hung up on him and H said "No, I guess he just figured we got disconnected."

View user profile
onebigfish
Metal Fisherman
onebigfish

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Play ball! - Page 26 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 05, 2018 12:36 pm

Wow, that's a great story!

Speaking of Bush... in the early 90s he used to come up to the fishing lodge that I worked at, and still continue to work at a couple weeks of summer. The Secret Service obviously came up as well. I never met him as I was usually over One of the other camps on the lake, but there are some pictures of him in the Lodge. Supposedly he was quite a nice guy. He wouldn't fish around the main lodge; he came there to fly out to the Tree River to go arctic char fishing. There is one particular pool that he liked to fish and it is named "Presidents Pool" in his honor. There is even a monument there. If you look at "page 44" in this link, you'll see the monument.

https://www.plummerslodges.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/Outdoor-Canada-Pat-Walsh.pdf

EDIT: If you're interested, here's a Google Earth link to where our outpost camp is.
https://earth.app.goo.gl/XvdReG

View user profile
tohostudios
Sleaze Pleaze
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Play ball! - Page 26 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 05, 2018 4:47 pm

Well I tried to look for the monument but for one thing that link is to a document that's only 4 pages long so there is no page 44.  I assume you meant page 4?  But I still don't see a monument on any of the pages.  

But it's too bad you never got to meet him.  I always liked George HW and in some of the recaps of his life, the stuff he did is simply amazing.  How does one man become a fighter pilot, head of the CIA, vice president and president among a bunch of other stuff?  Not to mention being father to a future president of the US.  Talk about a "life well lived".

BTW, Hot Stove periodically runs this "montage" of pictures of Harold Reynolds meeting dignitaries in Washington DC calling it "Harold goes to Washington". They usually do it when H starts in about changes MLB needs to make and he starts getting passionate about it. Usually with a lead-in like "OK MLB, you better listen to H because he's connected..." (roll montage). It always cracks me up but now we know where all those pics came from; his trip to receive his Thousand Points award.

View user profile
tohostudios
Sleaze Pleaze
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Play ball! - Page 26 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 05, 2018 5:33 pm

WHOA! This just broke:

Quote :
ST. LOUIS – The St. Louis Cardinals have traded for Diamondbacks first baseman Paul Goldschmidt, the team announced Wednesday. The #STLCards have acquired six-time NL All-Star 1B Paul Goldschmidt from the Arizona Diamondbacks in exchange for C Carson Kelly, RHP Luke Weaver, INF Andy Young and the club's Compensation Round B selection in the 2019 MLB Draft.

I don't like Luke Weaver being in that deal especially if Goldschmidt pulls "A Heyward" and hits free agency after next year. If the Cards can lock him up then I'm OK with it.

View user profile
onebigfish
Metal Fisherman
onebigfish

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Play ball! - Page 26 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 05, 2018 9:28 pm

tohostudios wrote:
Well I tried to look for the monument but for one thing that link is to a document that's only 4 pages long so there is no page 44.  I assume you meant page 4?  But I still don't see a monument on any of the pages.  

But it's too bad you never got to meet him.  I always liked George HW and in some of the recaps of his life, the stuff he did is simply amazing.  How does one man become a fighter pilot, head of the CIA, vice president and president among a bunch of other stuff?  Not to mention being father to a future president of the US.  Talk about a "life well lived".

BTW, Hot Stove periodically runs this "montage" of pictures of Harold Reynolds meeting dignitaries in Washington DC calling it "Harold goes to Washington".  They usually do it when H starts in about changes MLB needs to make and he starts getting passionate about it.  Usually with a lead-in like "OK MLB, you better listen to H because he's connected..." (roll montage).  It always cracks me up but now we know where all those pics came from; his trip to receive his Thousand Points award.

Play ball! - Page 26 47483921_10156494945335709_7558556890888667136_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&_nc_ht=scontent.fybz2-1

View user profile
onebigfish
Metal Fisherman
onebigfish

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Play ball! - Page 26 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 05, 2018 9:29 pm

tohostudios wrote:
WHOA!  This just broke:

Quote :
ST. LOUIS – The St. Louis Cardinals have traded for Diamondbacks first baseman Paul Goldschmidt, the team announced Wednesday. The #STLCards have acquired six-time NL All-Star 1B Paul Goldschmidt from the Arizona Diamondbacks in exchange for C Carson Kelly, RHP Luke Weaver, INF Andy Young and the club's Compensation Round B selection in the 2019 MLB Draft.

I don't like Luke Weaver being in that deal especially if Goldschmidt pulls "A Heyward" and hits free agency after next year.  If the Cards can lock him up then I'm OK with it.

Hope they can extend him. That's a great bat in the lineup!

View user profile
tohostudios
Sleaze Pleaze
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Play ball! - Page 26 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 06, 2018 5:52 pm

I figure the next move the Cards will make is to flip Jose Martinez to an AL team in exchange for either a reliever or a left-handed bat off the bench.

View user profile
onebigfish
Metal Fisherman
onebigfish

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Play ball! - Page 26 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 06, 2018 8:29 pm

He had a decent season. They should get something for him.

View user profile
tohostudios
Sleaze Pleaze
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Play ball! - Page 26 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 06, 2018 8:59 pm

Martinez really needs to be a DH.  The guy can hit like a mother...but he really can't field to save his life.

I think he easily merits a bench guy or a bullpen piece from some AL team.

View user profile
onebigfish
Metal Fisherman
onebigfish

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Play ball! - Page 26 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 07, 2018 8:12 am

The Jays have enough DHs already. One of the comments and again posts last season read "is it a good thing when the best you can hope for is a ground rule double on a ball hit to your left fielder?"

View user profile
tohostudios
Sleaze Pleaze
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Play ball! - Page 26 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 07, 2018 8:46 am

Everybody should be talking to Seattle because the Mariners are really tearing it down.

View user profile
onebigfish
Metal Fisherman
onebigfish

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Play ball! - Page 26 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 07, 2018 8:55 am

I suppose the Mariners have a few good trade chips left. I don't think Seattle and Toronto are good trade partners right now because they both want the same thing–young, controllable talent.

View user profile
tohostudios
Sleaze Pleaze
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Play ball! - Page 26 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 07, 2018 9:02 am

And that's something the Cardinals have a wealth of right now. But we have a bunch of free-agents-to-be after 2019. Goldschmidt, Ozuna, Mikolas and I don't know who else so we might have to hang on to some of our young players. Plus it's going to cost a ton to extend Goldschmidt. And if they don't re-sign Mikolas they're nuts.

View user profile
onebigfish
Metal Fisherman
onebigfish

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Play ball! - Page 26 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 07, 2018 9:07 am

Goldschmidt and Ozuna will be expensive to re-sign. If they can only do one, I'd do Goldschmidt.

The Jays' predicted window of contention starts in 2020 or 2021 when their top prospects have had a year or two in the majors. By that time, Sanchez and Stroman will be free agents, or a year from it.

View user profile
tohostudios
Sleaze Pleaze
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Play ball! - Page 26 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 07, 2018 9:11 am

Hot Stove is talking to the author of this book. He's been a Ranger's announcer for almost 40 years.

https://www.amazon.com/LIM-ERIC-Whimsical-Rhymes-Rangers-Friends/dp/1732892709/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1544195293&sr=8-1&keywords=lim+eric#reader_1732892709

View user profile
tohostudios
Sleaze Pleaze
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Play ball! - Page 26 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 07, 2018 9:12 am

onebigfish wrote:
Goldschmidt and Ozuna will be expensive to re-sign. If they can only do one, I'd do Goldschmidt.

The Jays' predicted window of contention starts in 2020 or 2021 when their top prospects have had a year or two in the majors. By that time, Sanchez and Stroman will be free agents, or a year from it.

That's why people think the Cardinals are officially out of the Bryce Harper sweepstakes.

View user profile
tohostudios
Sleaze Pleaze
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Play ball! - Page 26 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 07, 2018 9:15 am

I like the limerick about the Dodgers.  

Quote :
My childhood team was the Dodgers
With Snider and Koufax and Hodges
They came out to LA
With intentions to stay
And that still bugs us Brooklyn old codgers

He said this started when he was given copy for a Rangers commercial to read. He thought it would be better as a limerick and rewrote it and the Rangers promo people loved it so he read it on the air that way. His broadcast partner suggested they start doing a limerick about the game in the 8th inning of every broadcast so they did. He decided to compile them and voila, this book.

Last edited by tohostudios on Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
onebigfish
Metal Fisherman
onebigfish

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Play ball! - Page 26 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 07, 2018 9:15 am

If I was broadcasting the Rangers, I'd makeup limericks and rhymes as well.

I loved the illustration of Beltre on the cover.

View user profile
onebigfish
Metal Fisherman
onebigfish

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Play ball! - Page 26 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 07, 2018 9:16 am

tohostudios wrote:
I like the limerick about the Dodgers.  

Quote :
My childhood team was the Dodgers
With Snider and Koufax and Hodges
They came out to LA
With intentions to stay
And that still bugs us Brooklyn old codgers

Yeah, that was the first one I saw when I did the "look inside".

View user profile
tohostudios
Sleaze Pleaze
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Play ball! - Page 26 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 07, 2018 9:19 am

There's one about Vlad Guerrero too.  They read that one on the air. I think I might get it. Everyone is raving about the illustrations.

View user profile
onebigfish
Metal Fisherman
onebigfish

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Play ball! - Page 26 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 07, 2018 9:47 am

I didn't see much in the preview. I wonder if he does those on-the-fly. (no pun intended)

View user profile
onebigfish
Metal Fisherman
onebigfish

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Play ball! - Page 26 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 07, 2018 11:34 am

I just saw that former MLB players Luis Valbuena and Jose Castillo were killed in car crash in Venezuela while going home after a winter league game.

View user profile
tohostudios
Sleaze Pleaze
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Play ball! - Page 26 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 07, 2018 11:43 am

Yeah they covered that on Hot Stove.  They mentioned that it seems like we have one of these tragic accidents every off-season and they're right.

At least it sounds like this wasn't due to drinking or drugs. Hot Stove reported that they were going home from playing a game in the Venezuelan league and they attempted to avoid a boulder falling onto the road and swerved into oncoming traffic.

View user profile
onebigfish
Metal Fisherman
onebigfish

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Play ball! - Page 26 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 07, 2018 12:22 pm

It's still tough to matter how you look at it, but I agree it's better than drugs or drinking.

View user profile
tohostudios
Sleaze Pleaze
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Play ball! - Page 26 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 11, 2018 2:16 pm

Jays just announced they're releasing Tulowitski

View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Play ball! - Page 26 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Play ball!
Page 26 of 34Go to page : Previous  1 ... 14 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 30 ... 34  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Rock Island :: Tropical Breeze :: Pirates Cove-
Jump to: