A place of friendly discussion about music and other interests
 
HomeGalleryFAQRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 Play ball!

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
AuthorMessage
tohostudios
Sleaze Pleaze
avatar

Posts: : 26520
Age : 57
Location : Missouri, USA

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:29 pm

Cards ended up losing today 13-8. It's the first time all season the Cardinals have scored 8 runs or more and lost. They were 20-0 coming in. So we ended up splitting the 4 game series with SF this weekend.

_________________
 "There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats."

- Albert Schweitzer
Back to top Go down
View user profile
onebigfish
Metal Fisherman
avatar

Posts: : 24830
Age : 46
Location : Canada

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:20 am

tohostudios wrote:
Today while I was working I watched the Reds hang on and beat the Chicago Maddons 3-2,

It was the Cubs feed on MLBN so I loved hearing their announcers squirm as they got beat by the "lowly" Reds.  I bet those same announcers were laughing their butts off when the Reds swept STL early in the season.

Make no mistake, if the Reds can find some starting pitching somewhere they could be formidable because their offense can really put up runs.  Obviously it won't happen this year but give it a year or two and watch out.  The whole NL Central is mostly on the upswing except for Pittsburgh and even they remain competitive.


Haven't the Reds won every game against the Cubs this year?

_________________
Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid.
John Wayne
Back to top Go down
View user profile
onebigfish
Metal Fisherman
avatar

Posts: : 24830
Age : 46
Location : Canada

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:20 am

tohostudios wrote:
Cards ended up losing today 13-8.  It's the first time all season the Cardinals have scored 8 runs or more and lost.  They were 20-0 coming in.  So we ended up splitting the 4 game series with SF this weekend.

It sucks when you score that many runs and end up losing!

_________________
Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid.
John Wayne
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tohostudios
Sleaze Pleaze
avatar

Posts: : 26520
Age : 57
Location : Missouri, USA

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:01 pm

Cards were off yesterday; we're in South Chicago tonight playing the Chisox.

Cards scored two in the top of the third and looked like they might cruise with Mikolas starting. Mikolas had struck out 4 of the first 6 batters he faced and hadn't given up a hit but now in the bottom of the inning the Sox have runners on 2nd and 3rd with no outs.

I can count on one hand the number of "easy" games the Cardinals have had this season.

_________________
 "There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats."

- Albert Schweitzer
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tohostudios
Sleaze Pleaze
avatar

Posts: : 26520
Age : 57
Location : Missouri, USA

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:52 pm

Well I'm going to bed on a good note for once.

It's 13-2 Cards in the 8th.  Looks like Mikolas will head to the ASG with 10 wins although his ERA took a "beating" tonight because he gave up both runs in 6 innings of work. He came in with a 2.63 ERA so it had to go up a bit.

_________________
 "There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats."

- Albert Schweitzer
Back to top Go down
View user profile
onebigfish
Metal Fisherman
avatar

Posts: : 24830
Age : 46
Location : Canada

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:05 am

tohostudios wrote:
Well I'm going to bed on a good note for once.

It's 13-2 Cards in the 8th.  Looks like Mikolas will head to the ASG with 10 wins although his ERA took a "beating" tonight because he gave up both runs in 6 innings of work.  He came in with a 2.63 ERA so it had to go up a bit.

Good on him forgetting the All-Star nod. He deserves it.

I would be extremely happy if any of the Jays starters had an ERA even 1 run above that. The closest is Sam Gaviglio, whom they picked off waivers in the spring, who has a 3.81 ERA. That's only 9 starts though. The next closest is 4.44.

_________________
Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid.
John Wayne
Back to top Go down
View user profile
onebigfish
Metal Fisherman
avatar

Posts: : 24830
Age : 46
Location : Canada

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:06 am

They said something interesting during the Jays' broadcast last night. The Jays have had many different players start at shortstop this year. There have been players from seven(!) different countries start at short for them.


_________________
Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid.
John Wayne
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tohostudios
Sleaze Pleaze
avatar

Posts: : 26520
Age : 57
Location : Missouri, USA

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:32 pm

Seven countries at short???  That's amazing.  I bet a lot of teams haven't had seven different countries in the whole lineup period all year.

_________________
 "There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats."

- Albert Schweitzer
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tohostudios
Sleaze Pleaze
avatar

Posts: : 26520
Age : 57
Location : Missouri, USA

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:36 pm

And now Molina will join Mikolas at the ASG because Buster Posey has a hip injury.  Molina leads all NL catchers with 13 HR and that's after he missed more than a month with "the injury that shall not be named".

Matt Carpenter is on the list of final guys who get voted in by the fans and he really has turned his season around after an absolutely dismal first month and a half but to be honest the guy on that same list who really deserves to go is Jesus Aguilar of the Brewers. He's batting .302 with 23 HR and 64 RBI.  That guy is a beast!

_________________
 "There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats."

- Albert Schweitzer
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tohostudios
Sleaze Pleaze
avatar

Posts: : 26520
Age : 57
Location : Missouri, USA

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:10 pm

The Cardinals put up 14 runs on the White Sox last night. 14-2 was the final.

I bet anything we lose by one run tonight.

_________________
 "There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats."

- Albert Schweitzer
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tohostudios
Sleaze Pleaze
avatar

Posts: : 26520
Age : 57
Location : Missouri, USA

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:12 pm

Cards are in Chicago again tonight to wrap up the road trip.  Here's the starter for the White Sox:


_________________
 "There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats."

- Albert Schweitzer
Back to top Go down
View user profile
onebigfish
Metal Fisherman
avatar

Posts: : 24830
Age : 46
Location : Canada

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:09 am

Speaking of the White Sox, did you see this from the game?

https://www.mlb.com/video/mustard-sneaks-up-on-sox-fan/c-2258739583

_________________
Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid.
John Wayne
Back to top Go down
View user profile
onebigfish
Metal Fisherman
avatar

Posts: : 24830
Age : 46
Location : Canada

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:10 am

tohostudios wrote:
And now Molina will join Mikolas at the ASG because Buster Posey has a hip injury.  Molina leads all NL catchers with 13 HR and that's after he missed more than a month with "the injury that shall not be named".

Matt Carpenter is on the list of final guys who get voted in by the fans and he really has turned his season around after an absolutely dismal first month and a half but to be honest the guy on that same list who really deserves to go is Jesus Aguilar of the Brewers.  He's batting .302 with 23 HR and 64 RBI.  That guy is a beast!

Molina deserves to go just because of the injury!

_________________
Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid.
John Wayne
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tohostudios
Sleaze Pleaze
avatar

Posts: : 26520
Age : 57
Location : Missouri, USA

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:34 am

Cards were off AGAIN yesterday.  I know overall the off-days are probably not excessive but that's two already this week.  The Cardinals were off Monday as they flew from San Fran to Chicago, then two with the Chisox and off again yesterday as they come home to play the Reds today.   I swear somewhere in the next two months they're probably going to play some ridiculous schedule where they play like 15 days in a row or something.

_________________
 "There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats."

- Albert Schweitzer
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tohostudios
Sleaze Pleaze
avatar

Posts: : 26520
Age : 57
Location : Missouri, USA

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:05 pm

I'm watching the Cardinals/Reds game which is in a rain delay so they're running a feature about this year's Cardinal HoF inductees.  One of them is Vince Coleman.  One of the things Coleman was noted for was being the Cardinals biggest base stealing threat since Lou Brock.  They showed a play from Wrigley that had never happened before and hasn't happened since.  Coleman was on second and Willie McGee was on first.  Both guys took off on the pitch and the Cubs tried to nail Coleman at third.  He was safe and the third baseman let the throw get past him so Coleman took off for home.  He got caught in a rundown so McGee who was now on second took off for third.  The Cubs threw to third to try to get McGee but the throw was late and Coleman ended up scoring.  So you had 4 stolen bases on one play; the only time that's ever happened in MLB history.

_________________
 "There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats."

- Albert Schweitzer
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tohostudios
Sleaze Pleaze
avatar

Posts: : 26520
Age : 57
Location : Missouri, USA

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:36 pm

Well the Cardinals got their new manager a win in his first game.  Good riddance to Matheny and Mabry.

I think the final straw was the story about Bud Norris riding 21 year old rookie Jordan Hicks.  The article basically painted it more as "hazing" as opposed to mentoring and Matheny's comment was something to the effect of "today's young players are too soft".  That's probably true but you don't say that to the press.  Reportedly Cardinal upper management was really upset with that comment.  Personally I was more upset with Matheny's micro-managing of games and especially Mabry being the hitting coach.  This team's offense has been very inconsistent for more than 2 years now so I think it's time to bring in someone who can hopefully get through to players like Kolten Wong, Dexter Fowler and Marcel Ozuna.

_________________
 "There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats."

- Albert Schweitzer
Back to top Go down
View user profile
onebigfish
Metal Fisherman
avatar

Posts: : 24830
Age : 46
Location : Canada

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:38 am

tohostudios wrote:
I'm watching the Cardinals/Reds game which is in a rain delay so they're running a feature about this year's Cardinal HoF inductees.  One of them is Vince Coleman.  One of the things Coleman was noted for was being the Cardinals biggest base stealing threat since Lou Brock.  They showed a play from Wrigley that had never happened before and hasn't happened since.  Coleman was on second and Willie McGee was on first.  Both guys took off on the pitch and the Cubs tried to nail Coleman at third.  He was safe and the third baseman let the throw get past him so Coleman took off for home.  He got caught in a rundown so McGee who was now on second took off for third.  The Cubs threw to third to try to get McGee but the throw was late and Coleman ended up scoring.  So you had 4 stolen bases on one play; the only time that's ever happened in MLB history.

No wonder it hasn't happened since. I remember Vince Coleman and Willie McGee; they were both great players.

_________________
Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid.
John Wayne
Back to top Go down
View user profile
onebigfish
Metal Fisherman
avatar

Posts: : 24830
Age : 46
Location : Canada

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:41 am

tohostudios wrote:
Well the Cardinals got their new manager a win in his first game.  Good riddance to Matheny and Mabry.

I think the final straw was the story about Bud Norris riding 21 year old rookie Jordan Hicks.  The article basically painted it more as "hazing" as opposed to mentoring and Matheny's comment was something to the effect of "today's young players are too soft".  That's probably true but you don't say that to the press.  Reportedly Cardinal upper management was really upset with that comment.  Personally I was more upset with Matheny's micro-managing of games and especially Mabry being the hitting coach.  This team's offense has been very inconsistent for more than 2 years now so I think it's time to bring in someone who can hopefully get through to players like Kolten Wong, Dexter Fowler and Marcel Ozuna.

I guess I missed the info about them getting fired. It must have been something other than performance because the Cards are not doing that badly. They be not up to expectations, but at least above .500.

_________________
Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid.
John Wayne
Back to top Go down
View user profile
onebigfish
Metal Fisherman
avatar

Posts: : 24830
Age : 46
Location : Canada

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:54 am

I was out of town from Thursday to Sunday. As far as the Jays, they lost 3 of 4 in Boston. They were "in" every game, but it was their defense that blew it. Very sloppy.

In other news from the weekend:
- Jamie Garcia came off the DL and was demoted to the bullpen.
- Marco Estrada was placed on the 10-day DL with a glute strain (sore ass).
- Rhiner Cruz (a replacement for another injury) was put on the 60-day DL with a groin injury.
- Lourdes Gurriel Jr. (brother of Yuli from the Astros) was put on the 7-day concussion DL.
- Kevin Pillar was put on the DL and is expected to miss 4 to 6 weeks with a right sternoclavicular (SC) joint injury. Apparently it's a pretty serious injury.
https://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb/blue-jays-place-kevin-pillar-dl-gurriel-concussion-dl/

_________________
Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid.
John Wayne
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tohostudios
Sleaze Pleaze
avatar

Posts: : 26520
Age : 57
Location : Missouri, USA

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:41 pm

I saw the info about Pillar.

I think the firings had more to do with the latest flap about Bud Norris and Jordan Hicks. And the Dexter Fowler story. And last year Matheny got into it with Molina. He's just too old school to communicate with today's players.

_________________
 "There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats."

- Albert Schweitzer
Back to top Go down
View user profile
onebigfish
Metal Fisherman
avatar

Posts: : 24830
Age : 46
Location : Canada

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:10 pm

tohostudios wrote:
I saw the info about Pillar.  

I think the firings had more to do with the latest flap about Bud Norris and Jordan Hicks.  And the Dexter Fowler story.  And last year Matheny got into it with Molina.  He's just too old school to communicate with today's players.

It sure seems that way. When you've lost your players, it's time to move along.

_________________
Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid.
John Wayne
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tohostudios
Sleaze Pleaze
avatar

Posts: : 26520
Age : 57
Location : Missouri, USA

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:37 pm

All Star break.  Yawn.  I'm stuck watching WWE Raw tonight and probably Smackdown tomorrow as I really couldn't care less about the All Star game.  And Mikolas can't even pitch in it since he pitched yesterday.  Guess I'll have to watch a movie Wednesday and then the Cards and the Maddons are the only MLB game on Thursday.

_________________
 "There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats."

- Albert Schweitzer
Back to top Go down
View user profile
onebigfish
Metal Fisherman
avatar

Posts: : 24830
Age : 46
Location : Canada

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:21 pm

I agree. I'm not interested at all in the All Star game. Maybe I'll watch a movie during the game.

_________________
Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid.
John Wayne
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tohostudios
Sleaze Pleaze
avatar

Posts: : 26520
Age : 57
Location : Missouri, USA

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:44 pm

You know what was interesting?  I caught part of a special about the history of the All Star game on MLB Network and they were interviewing some of the participants from decades ago (like Fred Lynn) and these players were talking about how much they wanted to beat the other league, how much it meant to them to "defend their league" in the game.  I guess rampant free agency helped but an end to that as players started moving more freely between leagues.  But it was a stark contrast hearing those players talk about their feelings toward the ASG compared to what players say now.

_________________
 "There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats."

- Albert Schweitzer
Back to top Go down
View user profile
onebigfish
Metal Fisherman
avatar

Posts: : 24830
Age : 46
Location : Canada

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:52 pm

Yeah, I think it used to be much more of an "us vs. them" back then. I remember the NL had quite a lead on the NL for all-time wins.

_________________
Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid.
John Wayne
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tohostudios
Sleaze Pleaze
avatar

Posts: : 26520
Age : 57
Location : Missouri, USA

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:28 pm

Interesting.

https://sports.yahoo.com/sounds-manny-machado-deal-done-151546089.html

The rich get richer, at least for the rest of this season.

_________________
 "There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats."

- Albert Schweitzer
Back to top Go down
View user profile
onebigfish
Metal Fisherman
avatar

Posts: : 24830
Age : 46
Location : Canada

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:02 am

Yep. But if there is any team that needs some good prospects to develop, it's Baltimore. They are BAD.

_________________
Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid.
John Wayne
Back to top Go down
View user profile
onebigfish
Metal Fisherman
avatar

Posts: : 24830
Age : 46
Location : Canada

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:17 am

I forgot to mention this one. The other day, because of injuries, they called Garcia back from his rehab assignment. He had only 1 inning of rehab. they brought him in to pitch the eighth inning in that last game of Boston. He threw 20 pitches, only 6 of them were strikes, and 5 balls were in the just. He walked 3. He's obviously not ready to be back.

_________________
Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid.
John Wayne
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tohostudios
Sleaze Pleaze
avatar

Posts: : 26520
Age : 57
Location : Missouri, USA

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:44 pm

That guy is ALWAYS hurt. His body probably has more scars from stitches than Frankenstein.

_________________
 "There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats."

- Albert Schweitzer
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tohostudios
Sleaze Pleaze
avatar

Posts: : 26520
Age : 57
Location : Missouri, USA

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:04 pm

I'm glad the Cardinals didn't do this.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/manny-machado-headed-dodgers-5-1-trade-230711010.html

Five prospects for a guy who is a free agent after the season is over?  Way too steep a price IMO.

_________________
 "There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats."

- Albert Schweitzer
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   

Back to top Go down
 
Play ball!
Back to top 
Page 14 of 16Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
 Similar topics
-
» So I'm learning to play guitar...
» Billy on Peter Gabriel's Big Blue Ball CD
» Billy Cobham Power Play CD
» Where to play TT in Singapore ?
» If you want to play some Table Tennis NOW! CALL ME! Yishun Area

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Rock Island :: Tropical Breeze :: Pirates Cove-
Jump to: