Play ball!

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 22 ... 34  Next
AuthorMessage
tohostudios
Sleaze Pleaze
tohostudios

Play ball! - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Play ball! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2018 2:28 pm

That one doesn't even have the video to click on. I just see black rectangles. I'll try later on my own laptop; this work one might be blocking it.

View user profile
onebigfish
Metal Fisherman
onebigfish

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Play ball! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2018 2:45 pm

May be.

View user profile
tohostudios
Sleaze Pleaze
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Play ball! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2018 2:48 pm

Oh and I looked it up.

Quote :
On May 3, the Mariners announced that Ichiro would move to the front office as a special assistant for the remainder of the season

That sounds like retirement to me.

View user profile
onebigfish
Metal Fisherman
onebigfish

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Play ball! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2018 2:50 pm

I thought he read that he wasn't planning on retiring, that he might come back next season. He's got a great career, it's time to walk away.

View user profile
tohostudios
Sleaze Pleaze
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Play ball! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2018 3:50 pm

Yeah I agree. Don't be Wainwright.

View user profile
tohostudios
Sleaze Pleaze
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Play ball! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2018 3:51 pm

Nope. Doesn't show any video on my laptop either.

View user profile
tohostudios
Sleaze Pleaze
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Play ball! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 17, 2018 4:52 pm

Sometimes baseball is unpredictable like the Jays sweeping the Nats.
Sometimes baseball is very predictable like the Cards rolling over and playing dead for the Cubs.

View user profile
onebigfish
Metal Fisherman
onebigfish

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Play ball! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 18, 2018 8:54 am

Yeah, it just doesn't make sense. Sometimes you just go "I knew that was going to happen.", and other times you go "How the heck did that happen?" That's one of the things that makes baseball great though.

The Jays are 7-3 in their last 10 games. They swept Baltimore in 4, got swept by Tampa in 3, and then swept Washington in 3. That's just bizarre. Possibly the most surprising part of the weekend is that Estrada beat Scherzer 2-0 on Saturday.

View user profile
tohostudios
Sleaze Pleaze
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Play ball! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 18, 2018 4:25 pm

Cards managed to salvage the third game against the Cubs last night.  Rookie Jack Flaherty pitched 5 shutout innings but threw a lot of pitches.  For once the bullpen didn't cough up any runs and it ended 5-0.

View user profile
tohostudios
Sleaze Pleaze
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Play ball! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 18, 2018 7:45 pm

OK, it doesn't get much weirder than this.  Today the Nationals and Yankees completed a game that was suspended back in April when it was 3-3 after 5.  In the 6th inning played today, Nats rookie Juan Soto hit his 5th homer of the season to put Washington up 5-3.  But for the purposes of MLB records it was actually his FIRST homer because the game started back in April - BEFORE Soto was even in the majors. 

So on his future baseball card his stats will show that his first homer actually occurred after he had hit four other homers.  Only in baseball can a player's record travel back in time.

The whole thing makes my mind reel...

View user profile
tohostudios
Sleaze Pleaze
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Play ball! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 18, 2018 7:48 pm

Also, I'm watching the Cardinals @ Phillies.  Mikolis had a rough first inning allowing 4 runs but he sure settled down after that.  Unfortunately it was probably too late as the Cardinals are air conditioning the stadium in Philly with 11 strikeouts through 6 innings.  It's 4-1 Phillies at this point.

View user profile
tohostudios
Sleaze Pleaze
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Play ball! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 18, 2018 8:08 pm

Oh great.  Greg Holland is expected to be activated in the next several days.  During 5 rehab starts his ERA was over 7.  Just what we need, more gasoline from the bullpen.  Between Holland and Cecil we could reduce a small city to smoldering embers.

Play ball! - Page 10 Maxresdefault

View user profile
onebigfish
Metal Fisherman
onebigfish

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Play ball! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2018 8:34 am

tohostudios wrote:
OK, it doesn't get much weirder than this.  Today the Nationals and Yankees completed a game that was suspended back in April when it was 3-3 after 5.  In the 6th inning played today, Nats rookie Juan Soto hit his 5th homer of the season to put Washington up 5-3.  But for the purposes of MLB records it was actually his FIRST homer because the game started back in April - BEFORE Soto was even in the majors. 

So on his future baseball card his stats will show that his first homer actually occurred after he had hit four other homers.  Only in baseball can a player's record travel back in time.

The whole thing makes my mind reel...

It feels like someone just broke the space/time continuum. That's just bizarre.

You could win some bar bets with that one.  Player XYZ made their MLB Debut in May of 2018 but his first homer was in April of 2018.  How is that possible.

View user profile
onebigfish
Metal Fisherman
onebigfish

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Play ball! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2018 8:37 am

tohostudios wrote:
Oh great.  Greg Holland is expected to be activated in the next several days.  During 5 rehab starts his ERA was over 7.  Just what we need, more gasoline from the bullpen.  Between Holland and Cecil we could reduce a small city to smoldering embers.

Play ball! - Page 10 Maxresdefault

I see that Cards managed to come back, but choked in the end.

The Jays had the day off yesterday. Atlanta is in town for two games, starting tonight.

View user profile
onebigfish
Metal Fisherman
onebigfish

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Play ball! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2018 8:55 am

There is a LOT of funny stuff on this page.

https://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2018/6/18/17455132/ozzie-albies-billy-hamilton-florida-steal-of-home-mike-trout

View user profile
tohostudios
Sleaze Pleaze
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Play ball! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 20, 2018 11:09 am

I don't know if I've ever heard of this before.  Pirates reliever Steven Brault sang the anthem before last night's Brewers/Pirates game.  And he was pretty darn good.  When is the last tine a participant in the game sang the pre-game anthem?

View user profile
onebigfish
Metal Fisherman
onebigfish

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Play ball! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 20, 2018 11:22 am

I'm sure it's happened before, but I don't remember it.

View user profile
onebigfish
Metal Fisherman
onebigfish

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Play ball! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 20, 2018 11:23 am

We have another one of those stupid Facebook only games today. That's the third one!

View user profile
onebigfish
Metal Fisherman
onebigfish

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Play ball! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 20, 2018 12:54 pm

This is funny but I can sympathize; I've thrown my back out putting my socks on before.
https://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb/cubs-morrow-lands-dl-hurting-back-removing-pants/

View user profile
tohostudios
Sleaze Pleaze
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Play ball! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 20, 2018 2:06 pm

I've hurt my back yawning before.

View user profile
tohostudios
Sleaze Pleaze
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Play ball! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 20, 2018 2:07 pm

Speaking of injuries, Wacha left today's game with an apparently oblique strain

It's 3-3 in the 6th and guess who's in for STL? The Sea Serpent.

View user profile
onebigfish
Metal Fisherman
onebigfish

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Play ball! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 20, 2018 3:58 pm

tohostudios wrote:

I always fear sneezing!

View user profile
onebigfish
Metal Fisherman
onebigfish

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Play ball! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 20, 2018 3:59 pm

tohostudios wrote:
Speaking of injuries, Wacha left today's game with an apparently oblique strain

It's 3-3 in the 6th and guess who's in for STL?  The Sea Serpent.

Those oblique strains can take a while to heal.

That's pretty early in the game for Cecil.

During the "broadcast" today, they were still talking about the possibility of Donaldson going to the Cards.

View user profile
tohostudios
Sleaze Pleaze
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Play ball! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 20, 2018 5:22 pm

Well that possibility might have gotten greater today.  First baseman Jose Martinez, who has been the team's most consistent hitter all season was involved in a collision at first when he reached out for a tag and the runner ran through his arm.  He actually batted the next inning and got a hit but when he ran to first his arm was just hanging there. 

Cards lost 4-3 today and for once it wasn't Cecil's fault.  And Holland has actually pitched an inning in each of the last two games and struck out 2 in each one so maybe (hopefully) he's figured something out.

Back to Donaldson, if Martinez is out for any significant amount of time the obvious move would be to put Carpenter back at first and get Donaldson to play third.  I'd be OK with that move if STL doesn't have to mortgage the farm to get him because that would be stupid.  We have a stocked minor league system so I'm sure we could swing a deal if the Jays aren't asking for a king's ransom.

Last edited by tohostudios on Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tohostudios
Sleaze Pleaze
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Play ball! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 20, 2018 5:25 pm

onebigfish wrote:
tohostudios wrote:

I always fear sneezing!

Done that before too!

The worst part is that once you do something to your back, whether it's a strain, a pinched nerve or whatever, you're always more prone to doing it again.

View user profile
tohostudios
Sleaze Pleaze
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Play ball! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 20, 2018 5:30 pm

onebigfish wrote:
I'm sure it's happened before, but I don't remember it.

Our local news just showed it again.

Apparently it's relatively common at minor league games but no one seems to remember a major leaguer singing the anthem then playing in the game.

View user profile
onebigfish
Metal Fisherman
onebigfish

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Play ball! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 21, 2018 8:27 am

J.A. Happ pitched great yesterday, going 8 1/3 innings. His line shows that he gave up 4 earned runs, but 2 of those were inherited runners in the 9th inning. They shared this little tidbit: J.A. Happ is the only pitcher this season to have 4 games with at least 8 strikeouts and no walks.

View user profile
tohostudios
Sleaze Pleaze
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Play ball! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 21, 2018 10:03 am

He's easily been the Jays best pitcher this season.

View user profile
onebigfish
Metal Fisherman
onebigfish

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Play ball! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 21, 2018 10:21 am

And it's not even close. His record over the last three seasons has been very consistent as well. I'd love if they signed him to a 2+1 extension, but it's extremely likely that he'll be traded before the deadline. It would be nice if they could sign them back in the off-season though.

View user profile
tohostudios
Sleaze Pleaze
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Play ball! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 21, 2018 4:21 pm

Cards open a crucial 4 game series in Milwaukee tonight.  Carlos Martinez is making his third start since coming off the DL and it better damn sure be better than his first two because he's been friggin' awful since getting hurt.  No word on whether Jose Martinez will be in the lineup or not;  guess I'll have to watch the pregame show to see if he's playing.

View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Play ball! - Page 10 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Play ball!
Page 10 of 34Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 22 ... 34  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Rock Island :: Tropical Breeze :: Pirates Cove-
Jump to: