A place of friendly discussion about music and other interests

HomeGalleryFAQRegisterLog in

Share | 

The latest social media fad could be fatal, doctors warn.

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Eilene1015
Jammin' Jem

PostSubject: The latest social media fad could be fatal, doctors warn.   Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:26 pm

This is crazy

'Tide pod challenge' draws warnings from doctors

Teens putting detergent pods in their mouths in new online video craze.

The “Tide Pod Challenge” has taken social media by storm but the craze could be extremely harmful to humans.

Teenagers have been posting videos of themselves chewing and gagging on the small, colorful detergent pods and daring others to follow suit. Some social media users have posted videos of themselves cooking the pods before eating them, WSB-TV reported.

However, the pods, which contain ethanol, polymers and hydrogen peroxide are extremely toxic and can make people very sick if consumed, CBS News reported.

Marc Pagan, 19, told CBS News he consumed a pod on a dare but knew the detergent was not meant to be eaten.

"A lot of people were just saying how stupid I was or how – why would I be willing to do that," he said. "No one should be putting anything like that in their mouths, you know?"

The challenge appeared to begin as a joke in an article in The Onion, a satirical news organization. In 2017, College Humor posted a satirical video of a man eating the pods because they looked inviting and delicious, USA Today reported.

Dr. Alfred Aleguas Jr. of the Florida Poison Information Center, said any amount of detergent from the pods that is swallowed can lead to diarrhea and vomiting. In extreme cases, the pods can be “life-threatening.”

A Tide spokesperson told CBS News the pods were not meant to “be played with.”

"They should not be played with... Even if meant as a joke. Safety is no laughing matter,” Tide said in a statement.

The company advised that if the detergent is swallowed, the person should drink water or milk and then contact poison control.

The pods have been blamed for at least 10 deaths, according to CBS, two from toddlers and eight from senior citizens with dementia.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tohostudios
Sleaze Pleaze

PostSubject: Re: The latest social media fad could be fatal, doctors warn.   Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:53 pm

Ya know, I used to hate social media but I'm starting to appreciate it as evolution's latest mechanism for cleansing the human gene pool. Between the idiots taking selfies in dangerous circumstances or with wild animals and these stupid "trends" that can kill you, social media is doing a fine job of stopping the degradation of the human genome.

- Albert Schweitzer
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BloodDivine
Skull & Bones & Rock N Roll

PostSubject: Re: The latest social media fad could be fatal, doctors warn.   Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:51 pm

LOL Toho!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MoonChild
Guru of True Metal

PostSubject: Re: The latest social media fad could be fatal, doctors warn.   Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:39 am

tohostudios wrote:
Ya know, I used to hate social media but I'm starting to appreciate it as evolution's latest mechanism for cleansing the human gene pool.  Between the idiots taking selfies in dangerous circumstances or with wild animals and these stupid "trends" that can kill you, social media is doing a fine job of stopping the degradation of the human genome.

Couldn't have told it better. I am not a fan of social media either, but the problem is not the media but the people using it. Shame on us human species who claim to be the smartest of evolution!

Makes me salute the cat, or dog, or elephant or crow for that matter!

Addy
The Starman

PostSubject: Re: The latest social media fad could be fatal, doctors warn.   Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:35 am

tohostudios wrote:
Ya know, I used to hate social media but I'm starting to appreciate it as evolution's latest mechanism for cleansing the human gene pool.  Between the idiots taking selfies in dangerous circumstances or with wild animals and these stupid "trends" that can kill you, social media is doing a fine job of stopping the degradation of the human genome.

At least we hope so
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Eilene1015
Jammin' Jem

PostSubject: Re: The latest social media fad could be fatal, doctors warn.   Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:53 am

LOL toho i couldnt agree more..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Addy
The Starman

PostSubject: Re: The latest social media fad could be fatal, doctors warn.   Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:40 am

I Saw a meme on facebook it said....

1998 "in 20 years we will have cars that fly"

2018 "we actually have to tell people to not eat the tide pods"

We're not advancing we're digressing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Eilene1015
Jammin' Jem

PostSubject: Re: The latest social media fad could be fatal, doctors warn.   Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:29 am

Yes- like on the coffee cup is say may contain hot liquids..DUH
Back to top Go down
View user profile
onebigfish
Metal Fisherman

PostSubject: Re: The latest social media fad could be fatal, doctors warn.   Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:18 am

See my signature…

View user profile
tohostudios
Sleaze Pleaze

PostSubject: Re: The latest social media fad could be fatal, doctors warn.   Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:15 pm

I LOVE social media!

I need to get a bumper sticker that says "Stupid people shouldn't breed". Then when some asshat rearends me because they're texting or updating Facebook or whatever I can just point to it.

- Albert Schweitzer
Back to top Go down
View user profile
onebigfish
Metal Fisherman

PostSubject: Re: The latest social media fad could be fatal, doctors warn.   Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:14 am

There is certainly no shortage of stupid people in the world.

View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The latest social media fad could be fatal, doctors warn.   

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1