Share | 

RIP Tux

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
tohostudios
Sleaze Pleaze

PostSubject: RIP Tux   Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:29 am

Had to put Tux to sleep this morning. I think he had a stroke or something during the night because when I woke up he was sitting in a basket he never used in a room he never went into, covered in urine, he couldn't stand, pupils dilated and tongue hanging out. Then as I was getting dressed he stated having convulsions. So it was obvious it was time.

Great cat right to the end; apparently he only urinated in that basket, I can't find any anywhere else. RIP Punk...

- Albert Schweitzer
Back to top Go down
View user profile
onebigfish
Metal Fisherman

PostSubject: Re: RIP Tux   Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:27 am

I'm so sorry to hear that! That's so sad.

It sounds like he went into that place because he knew something was wrong.

View user profile
Eilene1015
Jammin' Jem

PostSubject: Re: RIP Tux   Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:35 pm

RIP so sad to hear that but you made the right decision
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tohostudios
Sleaze Pleaze

PostSubject: Re: RIP Tux   Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:25 pm

Thanks.

Just add this to my list of reasons why I hate the holidays.  Bad stuff always happens to me around the holidays.  I lost Godiva 6 days before Christmas, I lost Tux 6 days before Thanksgiving, 4 years ago I almost lost my Dad over Christmas and on and on and on.  Add in the phony sentimentality and friendliness of it and I hate it now more than ever.

BTW I'm already scoping out new cats so once I get one expect my avatar to be updated.

- Albert Schweitzer
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MoonChild
Guru of True Metal

PostSubject: Re: RIP Tux   Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:39 am

So sorry hearing about this sad loss... :'(

tohostudios
Sleaze Pleaze

PostSubject: Re: RIP Tux   Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:45 am

Thanks Shredder. The saddest part is watching Loosie. She and Tux were never "best buddies" like Tux and Godiva were but you should see how she keeps looking around for him. And every little noise makes her head whip around. She slept on my bed with me the entire night. I don't think she "misses" him in the same way I do but I think she knows something bad has caused a drastic change in her environment.

- Albert Schweitzer
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MoonChild
Guru of True Metal

PostSubject: Re: RIP Tux   Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:22 am

I hear ya Toho. Emotional transition after all... :(

tohostudios
Sleaze Pleaze

PostSubject: Re: RIP Tux   Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:58 am

I'm going to meet this cat below. It's being fostered by the group my friend at work runs; the same group I adopted Godiva from. This cat was just neutered and he contracted a urinary tract infection afterward so I'm waiting until they have that cleared up. He's a one year old male and he still has his claws. That's the only part I'm not sure about since Loosie is declawed. If he was younger I'd get him declawed but I think it's cruel to do that to a cat that's grown up with claws.

Anyway, this is Squirrel:

- Albert Schweitzer
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ricky
Rock Island Posting Junkie

PostSubject: Re: RIP Tux   Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:42 pm

sorry to hear that I lost my kitty about two years ago it was really hard for me she had kidney failure
and after a few weeks I had to have her put to sleep I got another cat but its not the same..
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.facebook.com/ricky.miller3
tohostudios
Sleaze Pleaze

PostSubject: Re: RIP Tux   Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:01 pm

I think that's what got Tux.  We knew his kidneys were failing because of diabetes.  I've been taking him for subcutaneous fluids 1-3 time s week for over 2 years now but all that does is extend the quality of life.  Reading about the symptoms of last stage kidney failure, he had most of them when I found him Friday morning.  I just wish it had happened during the day when I could have seen it and ended his misery sooner.

This is the third time I've been through this and it doesn't get any easier. I have a feeling the "not the same" part will apply to Tux too. His story about how I found him as part of a feral litter at our corporate headquarters made him special. He was the last one of that litter still with us.

- Albert Schweitzer
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BloodDivine
Skull & Bones & Rock N Roll

PostSubject: Re: RIP Tux   Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:24 pm

I'm sorry to hear this. Cats are the ones with character. We have two cats and they are the extra-daughters for me. I´m a cat person, so I feel your loss.

Helping your friend sleep away is the best way you can help him.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tohostudios
Sleaze Pleaze

PostSubject: Re: RIP Tux   Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:34 pm

I really appreciate that BD and you are spot on - cats ARE the ones with character. No two are alike. I've had dogs too and to me dogs are all basically the same, they will do anything to please you. Not cats; you have to EARN the respect of a cat but once you do, it's so worth it because they are just as loyal as dogs.

Tux hated/feared every human except me, and sometimes in his younger days I wasn't ever sure about me. I called him "Punk" as a nickname for a reason, he insisted on doing little things to annoy me. Like opening drawers and cupboard doors for no reason, knocking over trashcans for no reason; one time he even managed to kick the batteries out of a TV remote control. I called him "Punk" more often than his actual name. lol!

That's what I'm trying to remember; the fun cat, the cat who loved and respected only me. Not the pathetic thing that couldn't even stand when I took him to the clinic Friday; I don't think he even knew who I was.

This is the third time I've been down this road and so far this has been the worst. I think it's because he was so much fun in his early years and had seemed to really regain some of that in the last month or so. Only to crash and burn in such a hideous fashion.

Thanks again for your thoughts everyone.

- Albert Schweitzer
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BloodDivine

PostSubject: Re: RIP Tux   Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:21 am

We don´t have dogs. My friend has many dogs, he trains them for hunting, and rarely (very rarely indeed) when I go duckhunting I borrow a retriever from him. That is a fun way to operate with dogs and I have always enjoyed it.

But cats. I just enjoy playing with them. It is just awesome when you just have a string and the domestic little animal gets his hunting instinct on and becomes fast and muscular.

Dogs are noisy animals. You always hear them coming. Cats are silent and calm. It is fun to watch these miniature lions walking around the house silently and elegant. They are beasts under their cute fur and I love that primitivity. Great great animal indeed!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tohostudios
Sleaze Pleaze

PostSubject: Re: RIP Tux   Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:08 am

That's the best way to enjoy a dog IMO, enjoy someone else's.

I like dogs but as you say, they're noisy and they just seem too obsequious.  If you step on a dog's tail accidentally, most of the time you are instantly forgiven.  If you accidentally step on a cat's tail it can stay pissed for days.

- Albert Schweitzer
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MoonChild
Guru of True Metal

PostSubject: Re: RIP Tux   Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:44 am

I like all animals, but when it comes to pets, it is cats and only cats. Dogs, as Toho said, they are too dependent and nosy (and licky), whereas cats, they are Zen Masters.

BloodDivine

PostSubject: Re: RIP Tux   Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:07 pm

tohostudios wrote:
If you accidentally step on a cat's tail it can stay pissed for days.

That is so true. My first cat Hercules ( I gave the name because of the cats nature and strenght) had ticks inside his ears. I had to medicate him twice the day seven days. It meant spraying medicine inside his ears. He totally hated it. Every time after medication he walked to the corner of the room and just looked me angry as hell (tail moving fast from side to the other) and when I changed the room he followed me and headed to the corner of the room just to keep staring at me. That was long week. He spitted at me every time I approached him and spent his time looking at me angry. Trust returned one month after we stopped the medication. He was great cat, but unfortunately he died young.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tohostudios
Sleaze Pleaze

PostSubject: Re: RIP Tux   Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:30 pm

Loosie seems much more like her normal self today.  She spent most of the day sitting in her favorite window watching the world go by - which happens to be the same room Tux chose as his death room.  It's the first time she's been in there since Friday.  She also hasn't been hiding under my bed or in the basement today.  

I read somewhere a while back that a cat's memory is about 3 days unless some event or behavior is repeated multiple times (like tail-stepping or giving medicine over and over  Yes ).  That seems to be holding true with Loosie; she seems to be forgetting the horrors of last Friday.

I also cleaned the house and vacuumed today so hopefully a lot of the telltale reminders of Tux are gone.  Of course I can't do anything about the vinyl cat cubes he'd taken to sleeping in lately but so far Loosie doesn't seem averse to going in those.  I already threw out all the catnip mice Tux liked to tear into; I'm getting the place ready for a new cat.

- Albert Schweitzer
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MoonChild
Guru of True Metal

PostSubject: Re: RIP Tux   Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:45 am

Good to hear that, I believe she will come to terms soon.

Eilene1015
Jammin' Jem

PostSubject: Re: RIP Tux   Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:34 am

I have put to many to to sleep in the last few years and it doesnt get easier..Nala by the time i brought her was almost at deaths door..THey had a hard time finding a vein to put her to sleep..She never complained but she gave me that look like its time for me to leave and go to the bridge.

I recently got another dog because I didnt want to have just one dog after the other passes..I now have 3 boxers Luna 6,brandi 2, bosco 5 months

When nala passed last year luna was lost..I cried so much because all luna did was look for her and she stopped eating for a few days..I felt so bad for her..

I own boxers and I think they are like cats in some ways..This year i cant tell you how mnay creatures birds,chipmunks and oppisums they killed brought it inside for me ..they are quick..They crouch down like a cat..then leap in the air to catch the birds in mid flight..I feel so bad for the birds..

I dont own a cat not that i dont like them but i have a dog door and i dont want the cat to go outside..I dont think cats should be left outside but thats just me..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Eilene1015
Jammin' Jem

PostSubject: Re: RIP Tux   Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:40 am

I do belive though when i get another dog that there is some parts of my dog that passed example..Most boxers dont fetch nala loved to fetch and she also greeted us at the door with a toy in her mouth..Brandi who we adoped afted nalas passing does the same thing..I have had boxers for over 25 years and none has done this before..I know i sound strange but soemtimes brandi looks at me and i can see nala in her eyes..Like to say to me im still with you..Dont know if you have experienced that before but i do believe it
Back to top Go down
View user profile
onebigfish
Metal Fisherman

PostSubject: Re: RIP Tux   Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:21 am

I am a dog person. Dogs have personalities all their own as well. It's hard to lose a pet no matter what it is, but I think dogs and cats have the most personality. They become a part of the family.

View user profile
tohostudios
Sleaze Pleaze

PostSubject: Re: RIP Tux   Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:36 pm

Eilene1015 wrote:
I do belive though when i get another dog that there is some parts of my dog that passed example..Most boxers dont fetch nala loved to fetch and she also greeted us at the door with a toy in her mouth..Brandi who we adoped afted nalas passing does the same thing..I have had boxers for over 25 years and none has done this before..I know i sound strange but soemtimes brandi looks at me and i can see nala in her eyes..Like to say to me im still with you..Dont know if you have experienced that before but i do believe it

I haven't seen that per se but I did notice that Godiva and Vixen had some traits in common.  Like "talking".  Of course Vixen was Siamese and Godiva was a Havana Brown which is a blend of Siamese and Burmese so I always just wrote it off to that.  But who knows?  

Neither Tux nor Loosie "talked" much; especially Loosie until this happened.  She meowed a lot at me over the weekend.  And her meow still cracks me up; she's a huge 17 pound cat with a meow that sounds like a mouse squeaking.

BTW, I'm going to PetCo this weekend to meet Squirrel for the first time.  I love that name.  I've called Loosie "Squirrel Tail" ever since I got her because she has such a fluffy tail. I've been through this 3 times and one thing I've learned is that it's better for both me and the surviving cat to get a new cat as soon as possible.

- Albert Schweitzer
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Eilene1015
Jammin' Jem

PostSubject: Re: RIP Tux   Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:40 am

Good luck and what a lucky cat to be adopted in your household..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tohostudios
Sleaze Pleaze

PostSubject: Re: RIP Tux   Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:31 pm

Well I'm adopting Squirrel.  I went to see him today since we got off work early.  I'm picking him up next Saturday.

He sort of looks like a smaller, less fluffy version of Loosie. He's basically an orange and white cat but his fur sort of goes all over the place. There's some long-haired cat DNA in there somewhere.

Anyway, my friend how runs the rescue group opened up Squirrel's cage and handed him to me and the cat let me hold and pet him for about 10 minutes before he wanted down. That's pretty impressive considering I haven't had a cat that would let me hold it that long in over 15 years. Eventually he swatted me with claws sheathed to let me know he'd had enough.

That's a good combination; he likes affection but will let you know when he's had enough. Those claws will probably come in handy when he meets Loosie. Theoretically she could bully the crap out of him because she's about twice his size. But he has claws and she doesn't so good luck with that.

- Albert Schweitzer
Back to top Go down
View user profile
onebigfish
Metal Fisherman

PostSubject: Re: RIP Tux   Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:06 am

It sounds like a good match.

View user profile
tohostudios
Sleaze Pleaze

PostSubject: Re: RIP Tux   Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:10 am

I'm bringing Squirrel home next Saturday. Then the "fun" starts. It has to be easier than introducing Loosie and Tux was. That took a month. But both of these cats are used to being around a bunch of other cats and they're closer in age so I'm hoping it won't take that long again.

- Albert Schweitzer
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Eilene1015
Jammin' Jem

PostSubject: Re: RIP Tux   Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:58 am

Thats great news
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tohostudios
Sleaze Pleaze

PostSubject: Re: RIP Tux   Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:55 pm

My friend just told me they had to remove him from the area where he was staying at PetCo and place him back in the foster home again because the other cat in there with him was bullying him. That's weird because I've checked on him 3 times at the store and every time both cats were peacefully sleeping in the same part of the enclosure.

Anyway, as expected I've now added another blood pressure medicine to my regimen today after my Dr appt which is why I didn't bring Squirrel home this past weekend. So far every time we've tweaked my medication it's made me lightheaded for a few days and I didn't feel like dealing with that while trying to introduce two cats.

So if my body adapts to this new drug in a few days I'll bring Squirrel home this weekend. I've already bought one new cat tree for him and I just bought another one off one of Amazon's cyber Monday deals. That will give me 4 of them so if Loosie tries to bully him he'll have a ton of places to hide because most of these trees have areas she can't reach without the claws which he still has.

- Albert Schweitzer
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Eilene1015
Jammin' Jem

PostSubject: Re: RIP Tux   Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:01 am

Good luck with the Blood pressure meds..I take Benicar and never had any trouble but i have a friend likeyou who had trouble finding the right drug..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tohostudios
Sleaze Pleaze

PostSubject: Re: RIP Tux   Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:09 pm

Thanks Eilene and as expected the new one made me woozy for a few hours this morning.  I hate that feeling; it's like being drunk but not as fun.

- Albert Schweitzer
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: RIP Tux   

Back to top Go down

RIP Tux
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Rock Island :: Tropical Breeze :: Island Cabana-
Jump to: