Share | 

Play ball!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10 ... 16  Next
AuthorMessage
tohostudios
Sleaze Pleaze

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:27 pm

Interesting. The Cardinals have sent SS Aledmys Diaz to Memphis. His numbers weren't that bad: .260, 7HR, 20RBI but he's been throwing the ball around and starting to act like he thinks he's entitled to be in the majors so since this season is a bust I think they sent him down to AAA for an "attitude adjustment" as much as anything.

The Cardinals need to do more of this. Write off this season and start looking to trade free gaents-to be like Sung Hwan Oh, Trevor Rosenthal and Lance Lynn. Dangle these guys out there and see what we can get back in prospects.

I'd also put Wainwright back in the bullpen where he started over a decade ago. I don't care if he's the long man, setup man or closer but he's not a starter anymore at this stage of his career. Bring up some kid pitchers like Luke Weaver and let's see what they can do.

- Albert Schweitzer
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tohostudios
Sleaze Pleaze

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:47 pm

BTW, the Cardinals are in AZ this week so I don't get to see much of the games. Probably just as well...

- Albert Schweitzer
Back to top Go down
View user profile
onebigfish
Metal Fisherman

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:31 am

tohostudios wrote:
HAHAHAHAHA!

I love this! The MLB Central guys were talking about this this morning and they speculated the Cubs would cut Montero loose after breaking the unwritten rule of throwing your teammate under the bus. Didn't take long to actually happen:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/cubs-cut-miguel-montero-opened-mouth-cardinal-sin-backup-catchers-193845281.html

It sure didn't take them long! Arrieta may have a slow delivery, but it's faster than Montero's throws. And Arrieta he still has a job.

View user profile
onebigfish
Metal Fisherman

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:33 am

tohostudios wrote:
Interesting. The Cardinals have sent SS Aledmys Diaz to Memphis. His numbers weren't that bad: .260, 7HR, 20RBI but he's been throwing the ball around and starting to act like he thinks he's entitled to be in the majors so since this season is a bust I think they sent him down to AAA for an "attitude adjustment" as much as anything.

The Cardinals need to do more of this. Write off this season and start looking to trade free gaents-to be like Sung Hwan Oh, Trevor Rosenthal and Lance Lynn. Dangle these guys out there and see what we can get back in prospects.

I'd also put Wainwright back in the bullpen where he started over a decade ago. I don't care if he's the long man, setup man or closer but he's not a starter anymore at this stage of his career. Bring up some kid pitchers like Luke Weaver and let's see what they can do.

As soon as the young player thinks he is entitled, he needs to go down for an attitude adjustment.

I think both our teams need to take a serious look at things in the next month or so. Both teams have a lot to offer a contending team.

View user profile
onebigfish
Metal Fisherman

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:33 am

tohostudios wrote:
BTW, the Cardinals are in AZ this week so I don't get to see much of the games. Probably just as well...

They don't broadcast the Arizona games?

View user profile
onebigfish
Metal Fisherman

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:50 am

The Jays won 4-0. Stroman was dominant last night, going 7.2 innings and striking out 8. The offense was still so-so. They really miss Devon Travis and need someone who can inject the spark can get on base, drive a double to the gap, and so on. Right now they just rely on hitting home runs, and that's not a good formula for success.

Osuna came in to strike out the side in a non-save situation in the 9th. It's the second time he's appeared since he revealed that he is suffering from anxiety. He's also struck out six players in a row since then. I think it takes a lot of courage for him to come out and say that. We always think of ballplayers, especially closers, as being immune to something like that, but they are humans just like the rest of us.

View user profile
tohostudios
Sleaze Pleaze

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:57 am

onebigfish wrote:
tohostudios wrote:

They don't broadcast the Arizona games?

Yeah but the don't start until about 20 minutes before I go to bed.

- Albert Schweitzer
Back to top Go down
View user profile
onebigfish
Metal Fisherman

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:08 pm

Two of the Jays' top prospects will be in the Futures Game. I'm looking forward to see how both of these prospects will turn out in the coming years.

Bo Bichette
The son of former big leaguer Dante Bichette, Bo has hit an absurd .408/.458/.661 with 137 hits, 56 extra-base hits and 83 RBIs in 84 professional games since signing as a second-round pick in 2016. The 19-year-old's .402 average this season is tops in the Minors, and he's pacing the Midwest League in all three triple-slash categories (.402/.461/.638), hits (102), doubles (30) and total bases (162) through 62 games.

Vlad Guerrero Jr.
Following in the footsteps of his father, Vlad Jr. is already one of the best pure hitters in the Minors, with effortless raw power to all fields thanks to his combination of bat speed, physical strength and hand-eye coordination. As an 18-year-old in the Midwest League, he's hitting .309/.398/.457 with 25 extra-base hits, 40 RBIs and more walks (33) than strikeouts (31).

View user profile
onebigfish
Metal Fisherman

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:49 am

Last night was another brutal night for the Jays' offense. They actually managed to make Ubaldo Jimenez look good. That's hard to do! He had an ERA of 7.26 going into the game, including an ERA of over 9 in the last 4 games. The Jays only got 2 hits! J.A. Happ pitched great, but your team needs to score at least 1 run to win a game.

View user profile
onebigfish
Metal Fisherman

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:50 am

How's this for brutal luck? The Yankees prospect got called up for his MLB debut. In the first inning, he goes for a foul ball and smashes his knee into the wall. He now has a ruptured patella and requires surgery.

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/news/yankees-rookie-suffers-devastating-knee-injury-in-mlb-debut/ar-BBDtK09?li=AAggNb9

View user profile
tohostudios
Sleaze Pleaze

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:03 pm

Yeah I saw that. Joe Girardi was actually tearing up at the post-game press conference talking about it.

Cards won last night 10-4, taking 2 out of 3 against Arizona - a team with one of the top records in MLB. They should have swept all 3 if not for the bullpen imploding in game one again. Go figure. Grichuk drove in 5 runs with a homer and a double. He's been on fire ever since being recalled from the minors this week. Hopefully it has the same effect on Aledmys Diaz.

Next up is another really good team - Washington. Their main Achilles heel is that their bullpen is even worse than ours'.

- Albert Schweitzer
Back to top Go down
View user profile
onebigfish
Metal Fisherman

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:43 pm

I'm heading away for the long weekend. I'll be away from the pain of having to watch the Jays offense.

View user profile
tohostudios
Sleaze Pleaze

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:47 pm

onebigfish wrote:
tohostudios wrote:
HAHAHAHAHA!

I love this! The MLB Central guys were talking about this this morning and they speculated the Cubs would cut Montero loose after breaking the unwritten rule of throwing your teammate under the bus. Didn't take long to actually happen:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/cubs-cut-miguel-montero-opened-mouth-cardinal-sin-backup-catchers-193845281.html

It sure didn't take them long! Arrieta may have a slow delivery, but it's faster than Montero's throws. And Arrieta he still has a job.

Laughing So guess where Montero landed? Toronto! Good luck with that.

- Albert Schweitzer
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tohostudios
Sleaze Pleaze

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:59 pm

Did you know about this?

I was watching Intentional Talk on MLB Network and they were saying how today the Mets had to pay Bobby Bonilla $1.19 million again. After the 1999 season the Mets didn't want Bonilla anymore but instead of paying him the $5.9 M buyout they negotiated an annuity payout of $1.19M starting in 2011 and running until 2035! Where can I sign up for a deal like that????

- Albert Schweitzer
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tohostudios
Sleaze Pleaze

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:10 pm

onebigfish wrote:
I'm heading away for the long weekend. I'll be away from the pain of having to watch the Jays offense.

You picked a good game to miss. I saw the Jays got waxed 15-1 yesterday. But I still maintain those are easier to blow off than losing 3-2 in 11 innings or something like that.

- Albert Schweitzer
Back to top Go down
View user profile
onebigfish
Metal Fisherman

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:03 am

tohostudios wrote:
onebigfish wrote:
tohostudios wrote:
HAHAHAHAHA!

Laughing So guess where Montero landed? Toronto! Good luck with that.

It can't be any worse than having Luke Maille and his .326 OPS. This season is brutal so far anyway. The offense is terrible, the starters (and everyone else for that matter) keep getting injured. I'm hoping they can do a little "rebuild on-the-fly" and deal a couple guys for some decent prospects at the trade deadline. They could deal Estrada and then re-sign him after this season. Tulowitzki is another one. Definitely don't deal Donaldson, Stroman, Sanchez, or Osuna.

View user profile
onebigfish
Metal Fisherman

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:04 am

tohostudios wrote:
Did you know about this?

I was watching Intentional Talk on MLB Network and they were saying how today the Mets had to pay Bobby Bonilla $1.19 million again. After the 1999 season the Mets didn't want Bonilla anymore but instead of paying him the $5.9 M buyout they negotiated an annuity payout of $1.19M starting in 2011 and running until 2035! Where can I sign up for a deal like that????

It's like one of those cash for life lotteries!

View user profile
onebigfish
Metal Fisherman

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:04 am

tohostudios wrote:
onebigfish wrote:

You picked a good game to miss. I saw the Jays got waxed 15-1 yesterday. But I still maintain those are easier to blow off than losing 3-2 in 11 innings or something like that.

The Jays have lost 5 in a row and 8 of 10. I'm happy I miss the whole weekend because it would've been several hours of my life I would never get back.

View user profile
tohostudios
Sleaze Pleaze

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:10 am

So the Jays' deal for Montero is "a player to be named later or cash". Wow. I bet if they offered the Cubs a bag of baseballs that would be enough. Maybe throw in a couple plates of poutine.

- Albert Schweitzer
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tohostudios
Sleaze Pleaze

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:11 am

Since when are the participants in the Home Run Derby not all part of the All Star Game?

- Albert Schweitzer
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tohostudios
Sleaze Pleaze

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:15 am

Talk about a bad bullpen. I see the Nats' pen blew their 14th save last night. 14! Wow. Washington managed to win with a run in the bottom of the 9th but they need to do something about that if they have a prayer of winning the World Series.

- Albert Schweitzer
Back to top Go down
View user profile
onebigfish
Metal Fisherman

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:22 am

tohostudios wrote:
Since when are the participants in the Home Run Derby not all part of the All Star Game?

I think it has happened before. It does seem a little odd to me.

View user profile
onebigfish
Metal Fisherman

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:23 am

tohostudios wrote:
Talk about a bad bullpen. I see the Nats' pen blew their 14th save last night. 14! Wow. Washington managed to win with a run in the bottom of the 9th but they need to do something about that if they have a prayer of winning the World Series.

I'll bet that the would pay a BIG price for a good closer right now.

View user profile
tohostudios
Sleaze Pleaze

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:26 am

It's Washington's one glaring weakness. Their lineup can rake and their starting pitching matches up with anyone.

- Albert Schweitzer
Back to top Go down
View user profile
onebigfish
Metal Fisherman

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:26 am

I know they have inquired about Osuna.

View user profile
onebigfish
Metal Fisherman

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:27 am

Did you hear about this? Maybe he should consider the fact that he is not very good and that's why he hasn't been chosen for the World Series.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb/report-umpire-files-racial-discrimination-lawsuit-mlb/

View user profile
tohostudios
Sleaze Pleaze

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:32 am

Ugh. He was already on my list of awful umpires; now he's at the top of the list. What a moron. Right, MLB isn't giving him a slot umpiring in the World Series because of his race. Someone should put together an Angel Hernandez "highlight reel" and make him watch it. "No douchebag, you don't do WS games because you're a s****y umpire. Let me show you."

- Albert Schweitzer
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tohostudios
Sleaze Pleaze

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:35 am

The comments on that article are great.

Quote :
If Terrible Umpire is deemed a race I guess he has a case.

Quote :
I have no idea if Torre likes him or not but if anyone has seen Angel Hernandez call a game, it should be fairly obvious why he hasn't been made a crew chief or worked in the World Series... he's a lousy umpire. He's lucky to have a job, never mind being promoted.

Quote :
When you are continually at the top of a list that includes the likes of C.B. Bucknor, you really don't have much chance of winning this. He had another chance when he was given the NL championship series last year and was part of another blown call that MLB stuck up for him on. Time to go, Angel.

- Albert Schweitzer
Back to top Go down
View user profile
onebigfish
Metal Fisherman

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:37 am

On the Jays' pregame show last week, the broadcaster was introducing the lineup and the umpires, and he goes " and Angel Hernandez calling the balls and strikes, so that should be interesting."

View user profile
tohostudios
Sleaze Pleaze

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:39 am

Al Hrabosky always groans when Hernandez is umpiring a Cardinal game too. So do I. He's the worst.

- Albert Schweitzer
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   

Back to top Go down

Play ball!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 16Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10 ... 16  Next