Share | 

Play ball!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 14 ... 18  Next
AuthorMessage
onebigfish
Metal Fisherman

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:26 am

Coincidentally, I was reading a story about Guerrero and Bichette this morning. Here is the complete article, but these are the things I find most impressive.

When you manage a team featuring Vladimir Guerrero Jr., you get used to seeing some pretty cool stuff. Things you don’t often see. The way the ball comes off his bat. The pitches all over the zone — and sometimes outside of it — that he barrels for extra bases. The line drives that don’t stop until they hit a wall or clear it. The fact the 18-year-old third baseman has walked more times (74) than he’s struck out (60) in his first full season of professional baseball.

Apparently, word has gotten out. Word that Guerrero is one of the best prospects — and many would drop the “one of” part — in all of baseball. Word that he’s batting .325/.427/.486 with at least a hit or a walk in 101 of his 115 games this season.

He’s younger than some players selected out of high school in this June’s draft.

Dunedin’s hitting coach, Corey Hart, has trouble finding a comparable for Guerrero’s hitting ability at such a young age. He says the closest thing he’s seen to what Guerrero’s doing at 18 is what Giancarlo Stanton did at 20 in double-A. Hart was Stanton’s hitting coach that season when the current MLB home run king put up a 1.171 OPS in 53 games before earning his first big-league call up. Thing is, Stanton didn’t walk more than he struck out. Guerrero does.

View user profile
onebigfish
Metal Fisherman

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:25 am

The Jays lost 3-2 in 19 innings to the "Boston Cheaters". It's the 14th a walkoff loss of the year.

Speaking of the Cheaters, I think they have surpassed the Yankees as my most hated team.

View user profile
onebigfish
Metal Fisherman

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:16 pm

View user profile
tohostudios
Sleaze Pleaze

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:26 pm

MLB Central was talking about that. Realistically though, how much impact could stealing signs via an Apple Watch have? Unless you have a "human rain delay" on the mound there's no way anyone could relay the pitch to the batter fast enough to do any good.

But the Red Sox should still be punished though. What is it with New England team and cheating? First the Patriots and now the Red Sox.

- Albert Schweitzer
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tohostudios
Sleaze Pleaze

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:53 pm

WOW!!!!!

NEWS FLASH!!!!

CARDINALS MAKE BOLD MOVE TO BOLSTER BULLPEN!!!!

they traded for Juan Nicasio from the Phillies.  It's his third team this year (he started with the Pirates this season).  Boy, talk about "going for it".
Nothing like picking up a journeymen reliever to say "This is our year!".

- Albert Schweitzer
Back to top Go down
View user profile
onebigfish
Metal Fisherman

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:33 am

tohostudios wrote:
MLB Central was talking about that.   Realistically though, how much impact could stealing signs via an Apple Watch have?  Unless you have a "human rain delay" on the mound there's no way anyone could relay the pitch to the batter fast enough to do any good.

But the Red Sox should still be punished though.  What is it with New England team and cheating?  First the Patriots and now the Red Sox.

I think it's the fact that using electronic devices and technology to steal and relay signs in the majors is against the rules and is cheating. Whether it had an influence on the game or not is up for debate.

View user profile
onebigfish
Metal Fisherman

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:34 am

tohostudios wrote:
WOW!!!!!

NEWS FLASH!!!!

CARDINALS MAKE BOLD MOVE TO BOLSTER BULLPEN!!!!

they traded for Juan Nicasio from the Phillies.  It's his third team this year (he started with the Pirates this season).  Boy, talk about "going for it".
Nothing like picking up a journeymen reliever to say "This is our year!".

I would say it's a depth move, but there should be plenty of depth this time of the year.

View user profile
onebigfish
Metal Fisherman

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:39 am

In Blue Jays prospect news:

Vladimir Guerrero is ESPN's prospect of the year. He's also the first teenager to lead the minors in OBP (.425) in at least 25 years, which is as long as they have records for. one of the Jays' other top prospects was second in the minors in OBP with a .423 mark.

This years' second pick, Nate Pearson, struck out the first 10 batters he faced in a playoff game.

Carlos Ramirez, a failed outfielder turned pitcher, has pitched a total of 37 2/3 minor-league and 6 major-league innings this year. He hasn't given up a run.

View user profile
onebigfish
Metal Fisherman

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:22 pm

View user profile
tohostudios
Sleaze Pleaze

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:19 am

Laughing

- Albert Schweitzer
Back to top Go down
View user profile
onebigfish
Metal Fisherman

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:56 pm

I was away at the lake on the weekend, so couldn't really follow the games at all. The Jays did manage to take 2 of 3 from the Tigers, which is no great task.

View user profile
tohostudios
Sleaze Pleaze

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:13 pm

Cards swept the Pirates and are now tied with the Brewers at 2 games behind the Cubs and tied with the Brewers 3 games behind the Rockies for the second NL wild card.

Guess what the last series of the season is for the Brewers and Cardinals? Yep, three games here at Busch. Cards have won their last 13-16 and are now 7 games over .500, their high water mark for the season. Man what I wouldn't give for those early season games Fatboy cost us. And Cecil. And Oh. If the bullpen had been at least as good as it's been since the All Star Break the Cardinals would be in first place in the NL Central.

I'm under no delusions about the Cards' chances but given the stuff that's going on around the league now I suppose anything is possible. Cleveland with 18 wins in a row!!! The Dodgers with 10 losses in a row and 15 of 16!!!! Who saw either of those coming?

- Albert Schweitzer
Back to top Go down
View user profile
onebigfish
Metal Fisherman

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:12 am

tohostudios wrote:
Cards swept the Pirates and are now tied with the Brewers at 2 games behind the Cubs and tied with the Brewers 3 games behind the Rockies for the second NL wild card.

Guess what the last series of the season is for the Brewers and Cardinals?  Yep, three games here at Busch.  Cards have won their last 13-16 and are now 7 games over .500, their high water mark for the season.  Man what I wouldn't give for those early season games Fatboy cost us.  And Cecil.  And Oh.  If the bullpen had been at least as good as it's been since the All Star Break the Cardinals would be in first place in the NL Central.

I'm under no delusions about the Cards' chances but given the stuff that's going on around the league now I suppose anything is possible.  Cleveland with 18 wins in a row!!!  The Dodgers with 10 losses in a row and 15 of 16!!!!  Who saw either of those coming?  

The only thing better than coming down to the final series of the year against the team you are battling, is being well ahead and having already clinched.

I'm pulling for Cleveland in the AL. I have to cheer for Edwin.

View user profile
onebigfish
Metal Fisherman

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:13 am

View user profile
tohostudios
Sleaze Pleaze

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:26 pm

onebigfish wrote:
Is this not the worst slide of the year?
https://www.mlb.com/video/barneys-unusual-slide/c-1826863583?tid=6479266

lol!

Every, and I mean EVERY, show on MLB Network today was showing that.

- Albert Schweitzer
Back to top Go down
View user profile
onebigfish
Metal Fisherman

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:04 am

Even he was laughing as he was trying to get there!

View user profile
onebigfish
Metal Fisherman

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:05 am

Check out the Pillar video. This is some great editing.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BY3bMMFlkbQ/?taken-by=glovework

View user profile
tohostudios
Sleaze Pleaze

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:05 pm

I watched Cleveland win their 21st in a row today on MLB Network.

For my money, that's the MLB record. The 1916 Giants had a tie thrown in for their 26 game "unbeaten" streak.

The most amazing thing to me is that during the Indians 21 game win streak they've only trailed for a total of 5 innings!

- Albert Schweitzer
Back to top Go down
View user profile
onebigfish
Metal Fisherman

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:34 pm

It's insane, isn't it? They've also done it with three major injuries: Kipnis, Brantley, and Miller.

View user profile
tohostudios
Sleaze Pleaze

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:01 pm

I think this is interesting.

At the start of the season Cardinal outfielder Tommy Pham made a bet with Yadier Molina that he'd be a 20/20 man; if he lost he owed Molina $1000 but if he won Molina owed him a watch worth up to $60K.

Pham has been a career Cardinal minor leaguer for 12 years and had lots of injuries and also has several issues with his eyes. So it seemed like a safe bet at the time for Molina; Pham had never been a 20/20 guy at any professional level. Well today Pham hit his 20th HR and stole his 20th and 21st bases.

In the post-game interview Pham was asked about the bet and said "I'm gonna max that out."

- Albert Schweitzer
Back to top Go down
View user profile
onebigfish
Metal Fisherman

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:58 am

He's been one of the breakout players of the year. It's good to see a guy who's worked hard for so many years finally have a breakout.

View user profile
onebigfish
Metal Fisherman

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:01 am

Our family went down to Minneapolis this weekend to catch a couple games of the Twins and Jays games. Luckily for us, they won both games we were at, 4-3 and 7-2. There are always a huge number of Jays' fans at the games when Toronto plays there.

One of the highlights of the series was definitely Josh Donaldson. In the 4 games, he was 10 for 17, with 5 home runs, 8 runs scored, 7 RBIs, and a few walks for good measure. One of the home runs was this absolute monster.

https://www.mlb.com/video/statcast-donaldsons-481-ft-hr/c-1837904083?tid=6479266

View user profile
tohostudios
Sleaze Pleaze

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:02 pm

Wow, that WAS a bomb.

He's probably my favorite Blue Jay because of that MLB Central segment where he told kids to tell their Little League coaches "no" when told to hit down on the ball. That was just hilarious.

- Albert Schweitzer
Back to top Go down
View user profile
onebigfish
Metal Fisherman

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:18 pm

Donaldson and Stroman are my two favorites.

View user profile
onebigfish
Metal Fisherman

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:08 pm

Stroman was dominant last night as the Jays beat the Royals, 5-2. Stroman ended up going 7 innings, giving up 1 run. He lowered his season ERA to 3.01, good for 4th in the AL.

View user profile
onebigfish
Metal Fisherman

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:12 pm

The Jays also extended Estrada for next season at $13 million. Estrada has constantly said he wants to pitch in Toronto, saying this earlier in the week:

“I think this team has known since I’ve been here that I want to be a part of this, and I’m hoping to be a part of it next year. I’m hoping they can make a good offer, or just an offer to keep me here, because I’d like to come back.”

I certainly like the deal. Where else can you get someone at that salary who has produced well the last few years. He did have a dip in the middle of this season, but has again turned it around since early August.

View user profile
onebigfish
Metal Fisherman

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:53 pm

This weekend, the Jays have their final home series of the weekend, against the Yankees. It's also likely the last home series for José Bautista as a Blue Jay.

View user profile
onebigfish
Metal Fisherman

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:27 am

The Jays took 2 of 3 from the Yankees on the weekend. Sometimes the Jays look like they should be atop the division. Other times they look like they are where they deserve to be. As expected, Bautista got many cheers and accolades during the weekend. On one of the postgame interviews, Batista actually had tears in his eyes.

And here are John Gibbons' parting words for the media after the last home game:

"Thanks everybody. This has been fun - don't freeze to death with global warming and all that stuff"

View user profile
tohostudios
Sleaze Pleaze

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:22 pm

Watched the Cardinals roll over and die for the final game of the season. Lost to the Brewer 6-1. At least we got the satisfaction of knocking Milwaukee out of the playoffs last night when we won 7-6. The rumors continue to swirl about the Cardinals getting a "big bopper" in the off-season. The names heard most around here are Josh Donaldson and Giancarlo Stanton.

- Albert Schweitzer
Back to top Go down
View user profile
onebigfish
Metal Fisherman

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:01 am

I was away fishing this weekend and didn't watch the last series against the Yankees. By the sounds of it, it wasn't a great tragedy to miss it either. The season was pretty disappointing, as it was pretty much over for the Jays after their 2-11 start. Then you factor in all of the injuries and there was just nothing they could do. They need to get younger and a little more dynamic, while retaining much of their core.

I think there are a lot of teams would want Donaldson and Stanton. Donaldson managed to club 33 home runs and have a WAR of 5, despite playing only 113 games due to injury. He's stated emphatically that he wants to stay in Toronto and remain a Blue Jay for a long time, but we all know how the business works.

View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   

Back to top Go down

Play ball!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 11 of 18Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 14 ... 18  Next