Share | 

Play ball!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 16 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34  Next
AuthorMessage
onebigfish
Metal Fisherman

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Wed May 17, 2017 12:31 pm

Every once in a while those games just happen.

View user profile
tohostudios
Sleaze Pleaze

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Wed May 17, 2017 4:20 pm

They do it a lot though.  There are only two teams with more errors in MLB; Oakland is first and ironically the Red Sox are second.  Boston and St. Louis have both made 32 errors but the Red Sox have played one more game.

- Albert Schweitzer
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tohostudios
Sleaze Pleaze

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Wed May 17, 2017 7:35 pm

Well at least Cecil is trying to change things. 

The Cardinal announcers just said he's shaved his head.  Matheny joked "It worked for Carlos Martinez so why not?"  Martinez has pitched much better since he stopped wearing those stupid platinum dreadlock weaves.

- Albert Schweitzer
Back to top Go down
View user profile
onebigfish
Metal Fisherman

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Thu May 18, 2017 9:43 am

Players can be superstitious.

View user profile
onebigfish
Metal Fisherman

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Thu May 18, 2017 11:46 am

Here's another reason for you to hate the Cubs; they eat children.

http://www.sportressofblogitude.com/2017/05/18/tv-graphic-fail-states-john-lackey-eats-children/

View user profile
tohostudios
Sleaze Pleaze

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Thu May 18, 2017 5:11 pm

onebigfish wrote:
Here's another reason for you to hate the Cubs; they eat children.

http://www.sportressofblogitude.com/2017/05/18/tv-graphic-fail-states-john-lackey-eats-children/

WTF?  What's it supposed to say?

- Albert Schweitzer
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tohostudios
Sleaze Pleaze

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Thu May 18, 2017 5:12 pm

Cards lost to the Bosox 5-4 in 13 innings last night as Rosenthal reverted to his "Blowsitall" persona.

He came in in the 8th with the Cards up 4-2 and as usual was throwing smoke but he gave up 2 runs to let the Red Sox tie it.

- Albert Schweitzer
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tohostudios
Sleaze Pleaze

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Thu May 18, 2017 6:22 pm

Well the Jays just cemented their reputation as the "evil team" in the AL.

That game last night was appalling.  Not only did Toronto pitchers hit two more Braves batters and send an MVP candidate out for at least 2 months but Bautista did the "bat flip" with his team down 8-3. 

WTF is that?  That's like doing a touchdown dance when your team is trailing by 4 touchdowns.

There's no excuse for any of that IMO.  I don't think any of the HBPs were on purpose but good Lord, if your control is that bad then you shouldn't be in the majors; they hit 7 batters!  Good grief!   And I don't think there's any excuse for Bautista's behavior.  That's just "bush league".

And that's before we even get to what Pillar did.  But at least he owned up to it and apologized.

- Albert Schweitzer
Back to top Go down
View user profile
onebigfish
Metal Fisherman

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Fri May 19, 2017 12:38 pm

tohostudios wrote:
Well the Jays just cemented their reputation as the "evil team" in the AL.

That game last night was appalling.  Not only did Toronto pitchers hit two more Braves batters and send an MVP candidate out for at least 2 months but Bautista did the "bat flip" with his team down 8-3. 

WTF is that?  That's like doing a touchdown dance when your team is trailing by 4 touchdowns.

There's no excuse for any of that IMO.  I don't think any of the HBPs were on purpose but good Lord, if your control is that bad then you shouldn't be in the majors; they hit 7 batters!  Good grief! And I don't think there's any excuse for Bautista's behavior.  That's just "bush league".

And that's before we even get to what Pillar did.  But at least he owned up to it and apologized.

They aren't anywhere near the most "evil team" in the AL; that would go to the Rangers or Orioles, but the Jays certainly did do themselves any favor in this series. In the game with the 5 hit batters, the AAA pitcher was absolutely horrid. Unfortunately, with all their other starters injured, they really didn't have much choice. The one to Freeman however, you can see he started his swing on an inside pitch. I'd say that's part;y on him.
http://m.mlb.com/news/article/230874164/braves-freddie-freeman-hit-by-pitch-exits/

I think the bat flip was a little over-the-top. I understand doing that is a celebration in some big situation, but I certainly didn't see it was warranted here. I think even Bautista realized that after he did it. You could see him talked to the catcher when he hit home plate, gesturing towards himself as if to say "my bad". However, he already has a reputation because of the previous bat flip, so he certainly didn't help matters.
I pretty much agree with this article. Go ahead, be yourself, flip the bat if you want, just do it at an appropriate time.
http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/kangaroo-court-judging-another-bautista-bat-flip-this-time-with-the-jays-down-big/

On to Kevin Pillar... What he did was pretty stupid! I can understand heat of the moment and being upset, but why use the word "faggot"? Seriously, who uses that word anymore? Not sure I've even used it since grade school. You'd think "asshole" or something similar would be the first word out of your mouth. I'm glad he owned up to it and realizes it was stupid.

Very strictly my opinion here, but while I think what Pillar did was stupid and unwarranted, there is no place for it, and that he deserved consequences, <rant> I absolutely hate all the political correctness and pandering to the LBGTQXYZ2 or whatever else they are nowadays. Everyone in the media, politics, etc. goes out of their way to be absolutely horrified (I think most just pretend to be) anytime something like this happens. Society goes out of their way to create "gender-neutral bathrooms" so people who can't figure out what the heck they are can find a bathroom without having to go in the bush outback. FFS arleady! We have two ""gender-neutral" bathrooms here in our office; they are just called "bathrooms!"
I should shut up before I offend everyone completely.</rant>

On the subject of being offended and playing baseball, why is it that teams/players get so offended by another team's actions and then feel the need to hurl a object at them at 95 mph to get retribution and think that's okay? If I did that in real life, I would've hurled things at several cars on the way to work this morning.

View user profile
tohostudios
Sleaze Pleaze

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Fri May 19, 2017 4:04 pm

I agree with your PC rant. 

And they were talking about the "retribution" thing on MLB Central after that game.  The consensus among the ex-players on the show (DeRosa and Ryan Dempster) is that if you don't like the actions of a player on the other team it's expected that your pitcher hit somebody on that team but he should aim at his butt or his ribs, never at the head. Same thing if your star player is hit by the opposing pitcher and you don't think it was an accident; the other team's star player should expect to be hit.  But throwing at someone above the torso is never condoned.
Dempster did also say that the best way to stop Bautista from doing the bat flip is to get him out.

- Albert Schweitzer
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tohostudios
Sleaze Pleaze

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Fri May 19, 2017 4:14 pm

Did the Braves pitchers hit any Jays guys in that series?

If not I give them a ton of credit, especially after they learned they lost their MVP caliber player for over 2 months.  Most teams would have drilled somebody just out of spite/revenge.   It's really a shame, Freddie Freeman was putting up monster numbers.

- Albert Schweitzer
Back to top Go down
View user profile
onebigfish
Metal Fisherman

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Fri May 19, 2017 4:21 pm

tohostudios wrote:
I agree with your PC rant. 

And they were talking about the "retribution" thing on MLB Central after that game.  The consensus among the ex-players on the show (DeRosa and Ryan Dempster) is that if you don't like the actions of a player on the other team it's expected that your pitcher hit somebody on that team but he should aim at his butt or his ribs, never at the head. Same thing if your star player is hit by the opposing pitcher and you don't think it was an accident; the other team's star player should expect to be hit.  But throwing at someone above the torso is never condoned.
Dempster did also say that the best way to stop Bautista from doing the bat flip is to get him out.

Bautista knew it was coming. In fact, Tehran missed him on the first pitch. I think of as a sign of things to come for him.

The whole series was just weird. Aside from the AAA pitcher and bullpen hitting 5 guys in the first game, Biagini gives up 6 runs in the first inning without getting an out in the second game, and then proceeds to get 12 outs in a row. We've already talked about game 3. In game 4, the Jays come out and destroy the Braves 9-0 with what is basically a lousy spring training lineup. The Jays had 6 (!) regulars out of the lineup. This summary from a blog perfectly  sums it up.

Just when you think you've got things sort of figured out, baseball is ready to humble you. After three miserable losses to Atlanta, with their best player in 2017 out suspended, an injury fill-in hitting cleanup who had an OPS of .345 in AAA (yes, OPS, not batting average)...well, you'd think it was going to be a tough night for the Blue Jays. But no, the baseball deities had some tricks up their sleeves. Consider the following things that happened tonight

Darrell Ceciliani, he of the .145/.188/.158 AAA slash line, doubled to drive in two runs in the 1st and scored on a double by Chris Coghlan (he of the .176/.259/.255 line) to stake the Jays to a 3-0 lead

Darrell Ceciliani (again, he of the .145/.188/.158 AAA line) smashed a two run home run two innings later to make it 6-0. In the course of hitting the above home run, Ceciliani partially dislocated by shoulder, which just might be the most 2017 Jays thing yet

Then the skies suddenly opened up with a downpour of rain, as if to say, "all those nice things? yeah, we can take them back"

After the rain delay, leading off the top of the 4th, Luke Maile, he of the .056/.128/.056 line, hit a solo home run

Can't get much crazier? Marcus Stroman was up next...and he hit a 370 foot home run. To the opposite field.

View user profile
tohostudios
Sleaze Pleaze

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Fri May 19, 2017 4:29 pm

Bautista is definitely a marked man.

Teams will just be looking for any excuse to drill him.

- Albert Schweitzer
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tohostudios
Sleaze Pleaze

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Fri May 19, 2017 4:31 pm

I think they need to nickname the AL East the "Black n Blue Division" like they have in football.  The Red Sox, Orioles and Jays all in the same division..Brawls R Us.

- Albert Schweitzer
Back to top Go down
View user profile
onebigfish
Metal Fisherman

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Fri May 19, 2017 4:40 pm

Bautista is also very good at playing angry. I can even remember how many times he's glared down a pitcher who has thrown at or behind him, and then ripped a double or a home run.

View user profile
onebigfish
Metal Fisherman

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Fri May 19, 2017 4:43 pm

Here's a video of Ceciliani hitting that home run and dislocating his shoulder. I'm not sure I've ever seen that before.
http://m.mlb.com/video/v1402102283/toratl-ceciliani-shaken-up-on-tworun-homer/?game_pk=490716

Now our injury replacement is injured and we've had to call up a guy from AA.

View user profile
onebigfish
Metal Fisherman

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Fri May 19, 2017 4:44 pm

By the way, I'm out of town for the weekend without Internet access. I wish I could watch or listen to the games.

View user profile
tohostudios
Sleaze Pleaze

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Fri May 19, 2017 4:53 pm

onebigfish wrote:
Here's a video of Ceciliani hitting that home run and dislocating his shoulder. I'm not sure I've ever seen that before.
http://m.mlb.com/video/v1402102283/toratl-ceciliani-shaken-up-on-tworun-homer/?game_pk=490716

We had to dip down to high A ball for an outfielder.

And then the guy proceeded to get at least 1 hit in his first 7 games. 

Quote :
Sierra, 21, made his Major League debut on May 7 and hit safely in each of his seven games played for St. Louis, batting .376 (11-for-30) with eight runs scored

.I'd have told Peralta to stay on his rehab assignment.  Why mess with a winning formula?

At least they promoted the guy to AA ball on the reassignment.

- Albert Schweitzer
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tohostudios
Sleaze Pleaze

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Fri May 19, 2017 5:39 pm

Wow.  Check out the comments after this article.  When I checked the more recent comments were slamming Bautista but if you scroll further down you'll find more people echoing Dempster's sentiment of "If you don't like his showboating then get his ass out."

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/braves-fans-troll-jose-bautista-creative-recreation-punch-photo-011337200.html

- Albert Schweitzer
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tohostudios
Sleaze Pleaze

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Fri May 19, 2017 9:04 pm

Matheny must not want to win.

Wacha pitched 6 scoreless innings tonight and the Cards lead the Giants 2-0 after 6.  So who does Matheny bring in?

And just like that the Giants have runners on 1st and 3rd with no outs. 

Geez...

- Albert Schweitzer
Back to top Go down
View user profile
onebigfish
Metal Fisherman

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Thu May 25, 2017 8:41 am

tohostudios wrote:
onebigfish wrote:

We had to dip down to high A ball for an outfielder.

And then the guy proceeded to get at least 1 hit in his first 7 games. 

Quote :
Sierra, 21, made his Major League debut on May 7 and hit safely in each of his seven games played for St. Louis, batting .376 (11-for-30) with eight runs scored

.I'd have told Peralta to stay on his rehab assignment.  Why mess with a winning formula?

At least they promoted the guy to AA ball on the reassignment.

How's this for fun. The guy that got called up from double-A and replaced our original injury replacement, and who also happens to be our top prospect, broke the hamate bone in his hand and is now out for 4 to 6 weeks. This season…

View user profile
onebigfish
Metal Fisherman

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Thu May 25, 2017 9:45 am

Oh, and in other good news I forgot to mention, Sanchez went back to the DL for his third stint this year related to the blister issue. Fun times!

View user profile
tohostudios
Sleaze Pleaze

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Thu May 25, 2017 5:15 pm

And the Cardinals are in a stretch where they've lost 6 of 8 but in all 8 the starters have an ERA in the 1s.  And they lost 3 of those game in 13 innings.  THREE!!!  In a week!

This bullpen sucks!!!!!

Tuesday Lance Lynn dueled with Kershaw and it was tied 1-1 after 9.  Lynn went 8 and allowed 1 run on 2 hits.  The Dodgers struck out 19 times in the game.  Guess who blew that one in the 13th?  FATBOY!!!

- Albert Schweitzer
Back to top Go down
View user profile
onebigfish
Metal Fisherman

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Thu May 25, 2017 5:20 pm

Teams go through that stretch where if it's not one thing, it's another. You know, starting pitching is great, bullpen sucks; offense is pounding the ball, starters self-destruct. It's frustrating.

View user profile
tohostudios
Sleaze Pleaze

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Thu May 25, 2017 5:27 pm

It's really frustrating because the Cards have 3 of the top 5 ERAs among starters in the NL.  Leake, Lynn and Wacha.  Leake leads the league with a 1.91 ERA.  And over his last 3 starts Wainwright looks like old Wainwright and Martinez has been great since he ditched that goofy hairweave.

But last time I checked we had the 3rd worst bullpen ERA in MLB.  Rosenthal is about the only one who's doing well and even he's been touched up his last couple outings.

- Albert Schweitzer
Back to top Go down
View user profile
onebigfish
Metal Fisherman

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Thu May 25, 2017 5:42 pm

He's probably being touched up because he's being relied upon too much with Matheny not being able to trust the others.

View user profile
tohostudios
Sleaze Pleaze

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Thu May 25, 2017 5:45 pm

I know I sure don't trust them.  I cringe every time we go to the pen.  Fortunately so far in LA both starters have gone 8 innings. 

Yeah, we're on one of those dreaded West Coast road trips where I don't see any games at all.  Tonight is the 3rd game in LA then it's Colorado over the weekend.  I don't know if any of the weekend games are day games or not but these LA games don't start until 9:10 my time.  I managed to see 2 innings of game 1 and 2 innings of game 2 but that's it.  I get up at 5am; I can't stay up much past 10pm.

Especially this week.  We had several team release new code to production last week and they've all SUCKED!!!.  Lots of defects.

- Albert Schweitzer
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tohostudios
Sleaze Pleaze

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Thu May 25, 2017 9:36 pm

I'm watching the first inning of the Cardinals/Dodgers game and the Dodger organist is using the main riff of "Aqualung" to try to rally the fans.  Never heard that before.

Cards scored 3 in their half of the first.

- Albert Schweitzer
Back to top Go down
View user profile
onebigfish
Metal Fisherman

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Fri May 26, 2017 8:42 am

They should play Aqualung more often!

View user profile
onebigfish
Metal Fisherman

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Fri May 26, 2017 8:45 am

Donaldson and Tulowitzki are expected back today. That is certainly welcome news! Here's hoping that they, and everyone else, can stay off the DL. Speaking of the DL, here's an interesting stat that I think is related to the Jays' DL issues: the Jays leads the majors with 16 players who have hit at least one home run this year.

View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   

Back to top Go down

Play ball!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 30 of 34Go to page : Previous  1 ... 16 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34  Next