Rock Island
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place of friendly discussion about music and other interests

HomeGalleryRegisterLog in

Play ball!

Go down 
2 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
tohostudios
Sleaze Pleaze
tohostudios

Play ball! - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Play ball! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 03, 2024 8:03 am

Given his extensive injury history, if Buxton had gotten hurt here I would not have been surprised at all.

Sleaze Pleaze
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Play ball! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 03, 2024 8:14 am

MLB Central just showed the Jays beating Hader last night. Good; I've always thought Hader is overrated.

Metal Fisherman
onebigfish

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Play ball! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 03, 2024 8:39 am

tohostudios wrote:
Given his extensive injury history, if Buxton had gotten hurt here I would not have been surprised at all.

Yeah, it makes a great headline, doesn't it? "Buxton injured in bratwurst race"

Laughing

onebigfish
Metal Fisherman
onebigfish

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Play ball! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 03, 2024 8:55 am

tohostudios wrote:
MLB Central just showed the Jays beating Hader last night.  Good; I've always thought Hader is overrated.

It was a good pitcher's duel from both starters and bullpens. The home run was the timely hit the Jays needed.

This part was hilarious. The replays they showed in the broadcast were great.
https://thecomeback.com/mlb/astros-jake-meyers-caught-stealing-faceplant.html

onebigfish
Metal Fisherman
onebigfish

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Play ball! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 03, 2024 10:52 pm

Geeze, the Jays got 1 hit tonight and lost 8-0. Pathetic.

tohostudios
Sleaze Pleaze
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Play ball! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 04, 2024 6:06 pm

What's going on with their offense? No-hit and one-hit both within a few days. Almost Cardinal-like.

Sleaze Pleaze
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Play ball! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 04, 2024 6:10 pm

Cardinals just rallied to hand the Marlins their 8th straight loss. It was 5-3 in the 7th before an error opened the floodgates and the Cards scored 5 runs that inning. 8-5 final. So STL is at .500. Let's see how long they can stay there. Last year it seemed like we hit .500 about this same time and never saw it again the rest of the season.

Metal Fisherman
onebigfish

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Play ball! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 04, 2024 7:06 pm

The Cardinals have a better offence than the Jays so far. The Astros hit more home runs (10) in the series than the Jays had hits (9). They were 1 out away from being shut out for the series against a team that was 0-4 going into it.

onebigfish
Metal Fisherman
onebigfish

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Play ball! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 04, 2024 7:09 pm

The Cardinals have been not bad so far. When I looked earlier today, they had a positive run differential of 3, I believe. So a .500 record seems about right.

tohostudios
Sleaze Pleaze
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Play ball! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2024 10:24 am

Did you know this factoid: The 2024 Miami Marlins are the first team in baseball history to lose their first 8 games the season after they made the post-season.

Metal Fisherman
onebigfish

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Play ball! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2024 10:32 am

Wow. That's hard to do!

Almost as inspiring as that: The Jays are the first team to be no-hit and 1-hit in their first 7 games.

onebigfish
Metal Fisherman
onebigfish

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Play ball! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2024 10:35 am

The Jays have an odd noon start today in New York against the Yankees, followed by a night game tomorrow. The Evil Empire is 6-1, while the Jays are 3-4. Maybe the Jays will win 1 game this weekend. Hopefully, they will hit the ball.

tohostudios
Sleaze Pleaze
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Play ball! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2024 3:06 pm

That game was on MLB Network today. Nice pitching outing for the Jays.

Metal Fisherman
onebigfish

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Play ball! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2024 3:12 pm

Yeah, the pitching was great; much better than in Houston. That's what they are capable of.

You've got to like the pinch-hit home run and the wild pitch gifts in the 9th, but the offence was mostly MIA again. They need to string some hits together.

I'm not sure which broadcast you were listening to, but on the Jays' broadcast they threw in this tidbit at the end: the Jays are 29-21 all-time in opponents' home openers. That is the best record of all teams. Sidenote: who did they pay to look up all of these weird stats?

tohostudios
Sleaze Pleaze
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Play ball! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2024 3:28 pm

MLB Network was using the Yankees feed.  And you're right, that's sure an oddball stat. Here's another one that was brought up during the start of the Rockies/Rays game that's on MLB Network now: Game time temp in Colorado is 76; that's the warmest temperature ever for a Rockies home opener.

Sleaze Pleaze
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Play ball! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2024 7:21 pm

Did you hear about this?  I think it's really impressive for a 22 year old kid to realize that if he can communicate in English to the public and to the media than there's less chance of something being "lost in the translation" so he busted his butt to learn the language.

https://www.mlb.com/news/elly-de-la-cruz-on-learning-to-speak-english#:~:text=The%2022%2Dyear%2Dold%20De,%2C%22%20De%20La%20Cruz%20said.

Sleaze Pleaze
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Play ball! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 06, 2024 4:53 pm

Now it's 9 losses in a row to open the season for the poor Marlins. Cards beat them today 3-1.

Metal Fisherman
onebigfish

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Play ball! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 07, 2024 9:32 am

I heard about the DeLaCruz item. He gets some respect from me. Many of the Latino players don't try anymore because they have their interpreters, so when one does try to learn, it stands out.

onebigfish
Metal Fisherman
onebigfish

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Play ball! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 07, 2024 10:05 am

I guess the one about Colorado seems reasonable. They are in a pretty elevated place and it is still early in the season.

The Jays have their home opener on Monday.

tohostudios
Sleaze Pleaze
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Play ball! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 07, 2024 3:56 pm

Cardinals were blown out by the Marlins today so I switched over to see what was on MLB Network and it was the Jays/Yankees game with our old pal Angel behind the plate. I don't know what went on during the game but even in the 9th inning with the Jays batting the Yankee announcers were complaining about the home plate umpire.

Metal Fisherman
onebigfish

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Play ball! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 07, 2024 4:02 pm

Another terrible game. Bad pitching, bad hitting. They left the bases loaded twice. They just can't hit with runners on base, especially in scoring position. It's the same crap as last year. They did nothing to deal with it in the off season, so there isn't much to expect. The pitching, outside of Berrios and a couple of relievers, had been inconsistent to bad, trending toward the bad. I'm hoping they don't dig themselves a big hole at the beginning of the season because I don't believe they have the talent to get out of it.

onebigfish
Metal Fisherman
onebigfish

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Play ball! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 09, 2024 9:12 pm

The Jays won their 2nd in a row, 5-3 over the Mariners. Here's a surprising forgot they mentioned at the end of the game: Chris Bassist threw 115 pitches. That's the most any MLB pitcher has thrown in a March or April game since 2021.

tohostudios
Sleaze Pleaze
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Play ball! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 10, 2024 9:33 am

haha. "Chris Bassist". I assume that's supposed to be Bassett. But yeah that's really unusual for someone to throw that many pitches so early in the season.

Sleaze Pleaze
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Play ball! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 10, 2024 9:35 am

Sonny Gray made his first Cardinal start coming off the hamstring issue that caused him to be on the IL. He had a 65 pitch limit and even so he threw 5 scoreless innings with 5K and no walks. Just as advertised.

Metal Fisherman
onebigfish

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Play ball! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 10, 2024 11:22 am

tohostudios wrote:
haha.  "Chris Bassist".  I assume that's supposed to be Bassett.  But yeah that's really unusual for someone to throw that many pitches so early in the season.

I think I was using my phone without my glasses on. Autocorrect strikes again. Laughing

onebigfish
Metal Fisherman
onebigfish

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Play ball! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 10, 2024 11:23 am

tohostudios wrote:
Sonny Gray made his first Cardinal start coming off the hamstring issue that caused him to be on the IL.  He had a 65 pitch limit and even so he threw 5 scoreless innings with 5K and no walks.  Just as advertised.  

Nice. Five scoreless on a 65-pitch limit is really good.

onebigfish
Metal Fisherman
onebigfish

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Play ball! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 10, 2024 7:48 pm

https://x.com/MLBONFAX/status/1777444189304955026

tohostudios
Sleaze Pleaze
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Play ball! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 11, 2024 10:54 am

Laughing

It's amazing that everyone on the planet knows he's a terrible umpire yet he still has a job.

Metal Fisherman
onebigfish

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Play ball! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 11, 2024 1:04 pm

Indeed! There were many more, similar items:

There is a belief that HP umpire Angel Hernandez may be the only one in #MLB that can stare directly into the eclipse tomorrow not wearing those special glasses and his job performance will not be affected.

Angel Hernandez can stare into the eclipse today and it might make him a better umpire.

Angel Hernandez probably called that a partial lunar eclipse.

onebigfish
Metal Fisherman
onebigfish

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Play ball! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 10:16 am

The Jays sucked yesterday, losing 12-2 to a terrible Rockies team. They somehow made a AAAA with a lifetime 6+ ERA look like a previously Allstar. Springer, Bichetter, Guerrero, and Kirk went 2 for 16 and hit into 3 double plays. Gausman was terrible; he gave up 6 rubs in 3.2 innings. I sure hope today's game goes better.

The Jays are starting Yariel Rodriguez. Here's a 27-year-old Cuban pitcher that pitched in the last World Baseball Classic. He pitched in Japan after that. The Jays signed him for 5 years, $32M.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Play ball!   Play ball! - Page 6 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Play ball!
Page 6 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Rock Island :: Tropical Breeze :: Pirates Cove-
Jump to: